Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

2020 OCS Event Details

Post by gogolen »

Here are the updated policies for 2020!

Format-
•7 OCS Qualifiers, each running for 1 month starting in February

•OCSQs use the league format on GEMP

•In each OCSQ, a player will be eligible to play up to 12 games total (6 LS/6 DS), and will be eligible to play a given opponent once per side.

•Entry for each month's OCS is $10, or $50 for the Season pass (all 7 months)

•The top 2 finishers during each OCSQ will earn berths into the Online Championship. If there is a tie, the player with the better win percentage will earn the berth; if still tied, the player with the better opponent's win percentage will win. If either the first or second place finisher is already qualified, then one of the berths will be passed down to the third place finisher. If there is still a berth available after this (that is, if any two of the top three are already qualified), it will be added to an "at-large" pool, to be awarded after all 7 OCSQs are completed. These at-large berths will be given to the top overall scores who have not already qualified (based on total win points across all OCSQs, with ties broken by win percentage and then opponent's win percentage). There will be a minimum of 2 At-large bids, so make sure to play as many games as you can each month.

•If you would like to enter all 7 OCSQs at a discount, you can purchase a season pass:

https://www.starwarsccg.org/wpstore/pro ... ason-pass/

Current season pass holders:

/viewtopic.php?f=1195&t=74385

2020 OCS Playoff Qualified Players:

1) Tom Damen (Feb 12-0)
2) Jared Napolitano (Feb 11-1)
3) Justin Desai (March 11-1)
4) Eric Hunter (March 11-1)
5) Joe Olson (April 11-1)
6) Brian Fred (April 10-2) (July had 11-1 month)
7) Greg Shaw (May 11-1)
8) Bastian Winkelhaus (May 11-1)
9) Steve Baroni (June 12-0)
10) Justin Branch (June 11-1)
11) Brad Kippel (July 10-2)
12) Nick Reisch (July 10-2)
13) Drew Lichtenstein (August 11-1)
14) Paul Myers (August 11-1)
15) Adam Fletcher (206 pts At Large bid)
16) Conor Britain ( 204 pts At Large Bid)

•The Online Championship will be a top 16 single-elimination, match-play bracket that will take place throughout October & November.
•Players will be seeded based on their performance across all qualifiers.
•The players will schedule their games and inform the PC in advance, so that we can promote each one and give everyone a chance to spectate these games live. We will also be streaming as many of these games as possible with live commentary.

Prizes
•Players who complete at least 8 games in an OCS Qualifier will receive an exclusive foil virtual slip, and will get an extra copy of that slip for finishing all 12 games each month. There will be a different foil slip for each of the 7 qualifiers. Players who finish all 84 games will receive the same Foil as the Top 16

•Other prizes and random giveaways may be given out at the discretion of the PC.

•Championship Series prizes (subject to change based on registrations) :
1st place: $800 and a MAIN v-card design
2nd place: $400
3rd & 4th place: $200
5th through 8th place: $100
9th through 16th place: $50
-All Top 16 competitors will receive a special AI foil v-slip, exclusive to the OCS.
-All Top 8 competitors will also receive a trophy (to be mailed after the conclusion of the tournament) and Player of the Year points commensurate to a Major.

Rules/Misc. Info
•As this is a new event type, we have done our best to ensure a fun and fair structure for all concerned. That said, we recognize that we may not have perfectly hit on the correct structure, and as such, many of the specifics are subject to change- if (for example) we find that the maximum number of rounds in each qualifier (or the number of rounds required to receive prizes) is either too high or too low, we reserve the right to adjust them. Additionally, the cash prizes are a baseline, and if the Qualifiers are wildly successful we may be able to increase the amount given.

•Each person may enter each qualifier with only one account. If someone is found having multiple accounts in a given qualifier, all such accounts will be removed from the qualifier and prevented from participating in future ones.

•Chat is intentionally disabled for spectators of OCSQ and OCS games.

•This is an official SWCCG PC sanctioned event, and as such any player banned from playing in PC tournaments is also banned from playing in this event.

•If games are interrupted, completed prematurely or glitched due to a technical error with the GEMP Server, please report it to one of the GEMP team and/or the Tournament Committee. A list of the affected games will be generated. In such a case, if both players agree to hold to the result of the game, the game will be considered final. If either player disputes the result, the game will be removed from the record and both players will be eligible to play an additional game that month.

•Please treat these games as tournament games. This means that once you enter an OCSQ game, you should not ask to cancel and re-play the game later, and your opponent has the full right to refuse such requests. Please schedule your games when you will not be interrupted. You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament. All OCS games should only be completed by the accountholder, and not someone else using their account.

*Scheduling of games is not permitted, and each person should make an honest effort to win each game they are competing in

*The Time Limit for each game will be 50 minutes per player, and extensions are not allowed. Please make sure you are on a stable internet connection before beginning your game.

OCS Top 16 Selection Process
The #1 seed will choose from one of the other 15 players, then the #2 seed (if not already chosen) will choose someone without an opponent, and so on, until the last two unpicked play each other. Selection order is based on final cumulative point totals after all 7 qualifiers have been completed.
We will set up a 16 person bracket based on the spots players were selected. Whomever #1 picks becomes the #16 seed, #2’s opponent will be the #15, etc…
Once the bracket has been set, rankings will not be changed and each player will have an established path towards the finals.

Summary of changes from 2019:

1) All games must begin within the month for which they for. So putting up a table on March 31st at 11:59pm for a March OCS game will not count if it starts after midnight. The game does not have to finish within the month, but the game must be accepted and opened prior to the stroke of midnight. This was previously implied, but not explicitly stated in the rules.
Last edited by gogolen on September 13th, 2020, 11:39 am, edited 7 times in total.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

The_Emp
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: The_Emp

Re: 2020 OCS Event Details

Post by The_Emp »

Gogolen just noticed this, given that it started in February is it too late to sign up given it's already February?

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

The_Emp wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 2:15 am
Gogolen just noticed this, given that it started in February is it too late to sign up given it's already February?
it is not.

however, he is traveling the first couple of day this month, so you may not get added immediately once you sign up.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Normally the cutoff is around 1 week into the month.

So pay now, and Gogolen will add you when he's back from his trip, if you want to play in Feb.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by gogolen »

March league has been set up, so all Season Passholders will be ready to go on March 1st.

Season Passes are still available in the PC Store (see the links the OP)

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Weyoun9846135
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: Weyoun9846

Post by Weyoun9846135 »

Isn't there an option to sign up only for a specific single month like the last two years? Can't find the threads for that. Last year we at least had 8 sign-ups only for Feb and 6 for March. This year none?
Ulli R. - Berlin, Germany

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Weyoun9846135 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:32 am
Isn't there an option to sign up only for a specific single month like the last two years? Can't find the threads for that. Last year we at least had 8 sign-ups only for Feb and 6 for March. This year none?
I only signed up for Feb.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Weyoun9846135
GEMP Username: Weyoun9846

Post by Weyoun9846135 »

Corran wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:34 am
Weyoun9846135 wrote:
Where & how?
Ulli R. - Berlin, Germany

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Weyoun9846135 wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:35 am
Corran wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:34 am
Weyoun9846135 wrote:
Where & how?
Through the PC store.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

AlmightyBobino
Starter
Starter

Post by AlmightyBobino »

Quick question, do you register a deck for each side, or are you free to use any deck through the month's games?

Paul McPherson
LS Region: Naboo
LS Region: Naboo
GEMP Username: PMcPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

AlmightyBobino wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 5:34 am
Quick question, do you register a deck for each side, or are you free to use any deck through the month's games?
Any decks that you like - you could even play 12 different decks in a month if you like.
Image Image

World Championship 26th Place - 2019
European Championship 4th Place - 2013
Naboo Regional Winner - 2015, 2018 & 2019
Ralltiir Regional Runner-up - 2019
English National Winner - 2014
Welsh National Winner - 2017 & 2018
German National Runner-up - 2018

Join the Star Wars CCG UK Facebook Page

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Congratulations to Joe Olson and Brian Fred on qualifying during the month of April.

the May OCS is off and running- who will be the next 2 players to qualify?

PC Store Manager

treadwell
Starter
Starter

Post by treadwell »

How can I sign up for June? I see a link if I want to buy in for all 7 months, but I'm not sure how to join just for a specific month?

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 58-26 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by challenger »

Clarification on rules: "You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament." I had interpreted this to mean that you should not refer to your list in the Deck Builder during the game, because you wouldn't be able to do that in live play. Watching Bastian's Jedi Academy video, though, he said something about it being "perfectly legal" to refer to Deck Builder. Does his comment not apply to OCS games or is it actually ok? Thanks
Edward Chien
GEMP: echien

Death Star
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

challenger wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Clarification on rules: "You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament." I had interpreted this to mean that you should not refer to your list in the Deck Builder during the game, because you wouldn't be able to do that in live play. Watching Bastian's Jedi Academy video, though, he said something about it being "perfectly legal" to refer to Deck Builder. Does his comment not apply to OCS games or is it actually ok? Thanks
To me, the sentence you cited needs to be viewed in addtition with the sentence immediately after that. So outside assistance means another player helping you play the game.
In a real-life tournament, you know exactly which deck lists you're playing. In the OCS, you can choose a different decklist for every game, so checking the deck builder in a second tab for something like "Do I play 2 copies of this interrupt or 3?" should be fine.
Also online play is a different beast by definition. You can scroll up the chat to check the destinies you drew last turn, something you obviously cant do in real life. But should that be forbidden because of that? I dont think so.
gogolen wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:51 am
Here are the updated policies for 2020!
I just noticed that the "2019 OCS Rules Addendum" that Keith posted last year has not made it into the 2020 OCS Event Details. I assume this was an oversight? In that case maybe edit this post to add them. Or is scheduling games allowed this year?
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

The rule prohibiting scheduling of games is in there already.

PC Store Manager

Death Star
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

gogolen wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 6:22 am
The rule prohibiting scheduling of games is in there already.
Sorry, must have overlooked it then. My bad.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by challenger »

Death Star wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 3:34 am
To me, the sentence you cited needs to be viewed in addtition with the sentence immediately after that. So outside assistance means another player helping you play the game.... In the OCS, you can choose a different decklist for every game, so checking the deck builder in a second tab for something like "Do I play 2 copies of this interrupt or 3?" should be fine.
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of thing I sometimes want to check. Just trying to stay on the right side of the law :)
Edward Chien
GEMP: echien

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Death Star wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 3:34 am
challenger wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 12:03 pm
To me
And to TPTB as well?

Return to “2020 Online Championship Series”