Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Gergall

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by Gergall »

The way I would phrase it is that the one big advantage that self-checkout had is gone, so there is no reason to use them at the moment.

After this is over, when stores revert to normal, it goes back to a pros-and-cons situation where you weigh self-checkout vs regular checkout.

Greg Zinn

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I find the the cash registers with a person MUCH better than kiosks during this time because I don't have to touch a single thing during checkout except my purchases and my bags. No touch screens that thousands of other people have used, and no debit card machines, because when you use a credit card at checkout, you insert it and don't need to touch a single button (not even to select "Credit" or to sign, at least for me). Much better experience for sure.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Our local Costco recently changed half of their checkout lanes to self-service kiosks. I was there the first weekend they went into service and it was a nightmare. At a supermarket it makes sense to have the checkout table weigh your items to make sure you're not stealing anything, but at a big box store it presents a lot of problems. Trying to fit all of my items onto the relatively small space after the register was impossible, and you can't take anything off to box them without the register freaking out and having to wait for somebody to come over and put in the secret code to let you scan more things. The staff who were helping with the kiosks were totally overwhelmed and the whole process took much longer than a regular line would have.

When I go to Costco now I refuse to use the kiosks and instead choose to get in the longer line for a regular cashier. It seems to be getting a little better but still a massive pain in the ass compared to the Costco 2-man cashier system that will neatly stack all of your * into a box for you.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
Gergall wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
1. Store still enforcing the 15 item max limit for self checkout.
I've never seen that limit before. Odd.
This exchange is funny to me, because if you'd asked me 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't have been aware of the limit either. It was just last week that I learned the stores here have it too. I guess this might be another reason why all of the stores always had to have a cashier on hand, even at times of night when they were pretending that everyone must use self-checkout.
arebelspy wrote:
2. As I just mentioned a couple posts up, regular checkout is awesome now with the shot caller directing people from a master line to individual registers.
..so just catching up to self-kiosks in that way, and when stores revert back, kiosks still have that awesome advantage?
Your question is based on a faulty premise. That's not an "advantage." Gergall is just wrong about this part.

He said "No more playing register lottery where you pray you didn't pick a line with someone that's gonna argue about coupons for 15 minutes" but that's a lottery you should WANT to play, because you're probably going to win. You won't usually be the guy that draws the short straw.

This goes back to what I said in the other thread, about people not understanding how a line works. The additional wait/inconvenience caused by the "problem shopper" CANNOT be reduced with the "master line" he mentions. All that the master line guarantees is that instead of the "problem shopper" only impacting his own register line, he will now slow down THE line. Now no one is safe. The inconvenience hasn't been lessened, it's just been redistributed amongst a greater number of victims.

In a one-trip sample size, Gergall is ALWAYS more likely to be slowed down by the master line than if he'd been able to "play register lottery" and pick from a selection of traditional register lines. This is already true even if he picks blindly, without trying to take advantage of any good line/bad line tells.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Redistributing the slowpokes across the entire master line is a good thing. I've got milk and chicken in my shopping cart, man.

A) Play the register guessing game lottery and win - Great, my stuff stays cold

B) Play the register guessing game lottery and lose - My stuff is getting warm

C) Master line, the slowpoke slows everyone down by 1 minute - Great, my stuff stays cold

Hunter you seem to value (A) very highly over (C). But for me the only thing that matters is that I never, ever want scenario (B) to happen.
Greg Zinn

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

The nice thing about those types of lines (master queue) is that the average wait time remains the same but the variance from the mean decreases.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

TRM Farm apologist and member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Hunter wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 4:05 am
arebelspy wrote:
Gergall wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
1. Store still enforcing the 15 item max limit for self checkout.
I've never seen that limit before. Odd.
This exchange is funny to me, because if you'd asked me 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't have been aware of the limit either. It was just last week that I learned the stores here have it too. I guess this might be another reason why all of the stores always had to have a cashier on hand, even at times of night when they were pretending that everyone must use self-checkout.
arebelspy wrote:
2. As I just mentioned a couple posts up, regular checkout is awesome now with the shot caller directing people from a master line to individual registers.
..so just catching up to self-kiosks in that way, and when stores revert back, kiosks still have that awesome advantage?
Your question is based on a faulty premise. That's not an "advantage." Gergall is just wrong about this part.

He said "No more playing register lottery where you pray you didn't pick a line with someone that's gonna argue about coupons for 15 minutes" but that's a lottery you should WANT to play, because you're probably going to win. You won't usually be the guy that draws the short straw.

This goes back to what I said in the other thread, about people not understanding how a line works. The additional wait/inconvenience caused by the "problem shopper" CANNOT be reduced with the "master line" he mentions. All that the master line guarantees is that instead of the "problem shopper" only impacting his own register line, he will now slow down THE line. Now no one is safe. The inconvenience hasn't been lessened, it's just been redistributed amongst a greater number of victims.

In a one-trip sample size, Gergall is ALWAYS more likely to be slowed down by the master line than if he'd been able to "play register lottery" and pick from a selection of traditional register lines. This is already true even if he picks blindly, without trying to take advantage of any good line/bad line tells.
Or the self-kiosk route for the customer who is super savvy, intelligent, and considered a Jedi by peers, and be at the mercy of virtually no one when using the self-checkout lane.....

Companies with self-checkout lanes are better off than if they did NOT have those avenues of collecting revenue. It is logical.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

CRG wrote:The nice thing about those types of lines (master queue) is that the average wait time remains the same but the variance from the mean decreases.
This is almost correct.

Total wait time can actually decrease, if there is ever a situation of an empty register line and someone waiting behind someone else still in another.

So, for example, there's someone checking out in each of two lines. You go to check out and pick one of them. Meanwhile the other one finishes.

If they're right next to each other the cashier might say "I can help whoever's next", but if they're further apart, probably not.

A master queue at that point meant you'd have only gone into the cashier when the first finished, decreasing your (and total) wait time.

In a fully packed store, you are right that total wait time is the same, however not always.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Sappy covid related commercials.

Just saw one for Scotts Lawn treatment that shows a young kid playing flag football (already wimpy and eager to please everyone) that just says "Maybe not this year, but one day. Everyone"

BARF
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 3:59 pm
Sappy covid related commercials.

Just saw one for Scotts Lawn treatment that shows a young kid playing flag football (already wimpy and eager to please everyone) that just says "Maybe not this year, but one day. Everyone"

BARF
Oh, man, gotta go Jedi-mode on that stuff and do Commercial-Free for YouTube, Hulu, etc.

I cannot recall the last time I intentionally watched and "advertisement".

My pet peeve is being marketed to or attempting to acquire my funds. I drink beers with labels facing outward, all my stuff in the house is the back of the packaging, etc.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Clayton Atkin
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Clayton Atkin »

Got another one......As I'm laying on the floor paying by bills online, and then that ONE that I have to pay by phone (am I the only person who still pays something by phone? AT&T triple charged me a while back when I had auto bill pay set up. So I won't trust them with my bank information ever again).....when your responding to an automated teller, and it says something like, "please wait while I access your account." It's at that point where the automated system starts making sounds like someone is typing, and retrieving my information. That drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! Ain't nobody typing crap on the other side of my call.....Just tell me my account information and keep your hen-pecking sounds to yourself!!

.....AND GET OFF MY LAWN WHILE YOUR AT IT!!

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Gergall wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 11:35 am
A) Play the register guessing game lottery and win - Great, my stuff stays cold

B) Play the register guessing game lottery and lose - My stuff is getting warm

C) Master line, the slowpoke slows everyone down by 1 minute - Great, my stuff stays cold

Hunter you seem to value (A) very highly over (C). But for me the only thing that matters is that I never, ever want scenario (B) to happen.
When you play The Game of Lines, you win or you die.
And you would die a little inside, every time you went shopping and chose Option C.
Because if you play the register lottery and lose, you lose big. And if you take the master line, you lose small. But you still lose.
"Great, my stuff stays cold." Yeah, you can use that cold milk to wash down the taste of defeat, since Option A is the only pathway to victory.
What ever happened to THIS Gergall?
Gergall wrote: Speaking of self-improvements, I have to do some Reflection as well.

-You win a lot
-I lose a lot
-I would like to win a lot
Now you're content to take the "L" before you ever even set foot in the building! Just so long as you don't lose big. And even though your odds of winning the register lottery are very good. You'll never be an elite shopper with that mindset.

"Always a Viceroy...never the Roy."

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

I gotta hand it to Hunter he picks a horse and stays on it. That was a great post. :-D
Greg Zinn

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Gergall wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:43 am
I gotta hand it to Hunter he picks a horse and stays on it. That was a great post. :-D
Its like he should play werewolf 2020

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Gergall wrote:
I must have missed when "inability to change one's mind when presented with evidence" became a virtue.

I guess maybe around 2016.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:57 am
Gergall wrote:
I must have missed when "inability to change one's mind when presented with evidence" became a virtue.

Its been around longer than that. 2016 (assuming you're talking about Trump) was just when it became in the open.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Touché.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

arebelspy wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 11:57 am
Gergall wrote:

It's a debate about checkout line arrangement preferences. It's subjective and it's an unimportant topic. Hunter's post is very funny.

If under all of those conditions you still can't relax and have a laugh, what's it going to take?
Greg Zinn

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I'm so sick of reading about self checkout kiosks and checkout lines in general on this forum. This isn't even an irrational pet peeve post it's just me being so sick of talking about something so mundane and trivial in our lives as if it were the most important news story of 2020.

Self checkout kiosks are not anything to write home about. I regret ever even making a response on the topic.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Getting it delivered or curb side pickup is where it is at anyways. People still using lines are living in the stone age.

Return to “Off Topic”