What decks should I play? (NARP/Scrub Level Advice)

SWCCG game play discussion.
stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

What decks should I play? (NARP/Scrub Level Advice)

Post by stephengascrub »

One problem I think that I and other players around my level have is the age old question:

What decks should I play?

The obvious answer is anything that is good and stick with it. Choose a list, or two lists if you must, from good players and keep playing over and over with that deck.

For LS, I'm good, and actually very comfortable pivoting between TRM, HITCO, and TIGIH.

DS is rough for me. I can grok HD, Court, and BHBM, but their bad matchups just leave a sour taste in my mouth. I like MAP, but think it is clearly tier 2 now, and think AOBS is really good, but man is it a slow climb for a scrub like me to become competent with it. I like IE a lot too, but am not well versed with it. TDIGWATT troopers? ISB? Watto?

So for DS, should I just stick with AOBS until I jam 50 or so games and know what I'm doing? Should I go back and forth between that and MAP? Should I drop MAP for one of the other decks I listed?

I know this type of thought process varies from player to player. People have different decks they feel comfortable with. But I think the struggle to find decks to land on and learn, while we try to improve, is real :lol:.

Please feel free to chime in if you struggle with this as well. You don't just have to offer advice. The hope is this can be an opportunity for lots of types of players to learn.

Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Re: What decks should I play? (NARP/Scrub Level Advice)

Post by rsersen »

Your LS decks are solid.

DS...good luck. Picking a deck is more Rock Paper Scissors than anytime I can remember in the last couple years. Anything you pick is going to struggle (if not flat-out fold) against at least one of the LS archetypes (scrubs, space, mains). And if you try to tech for it all, you end up with a jack of all trades deck that doesn’t master any of them.

AOBS is the one deck that probably has a path to victory against anything, although the games are mentally exhausting. Still, worth getting in the reps and learning it. Map pretty much has no good matchups left, wouldn’t bother with it again until there’s more FO cards. Otherwise...just play your favorite rock and hope you don’t run into paper, I guess.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Agree with Ryan.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I swear its like been 10 years with BFred saying DS sucks. Why can't DS not suck?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Rops and Map were good. They overnerfed them.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

I feel the exact opposite right now. Maybe I've played too much TRM recently and I'm just sick of it, but I feel like there are great DS options right now.

If you are comfortable with those LSs, I'm going to assume you are comfortable with mains. I think based on that, I would look at HD, Bridge SSA, BHBM, and ASM. What matchups are you struggling with for these decks (you specifically mentioned HD and BHBM)? I think these decks can be favored against LS mains, so you will have to focus on your bad matchups.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

stephengascrub

Post by stephengascrub »

TacoBill wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:51 pm
I feel the exact opposite right now. Maybe I've played too much TRM recently and I'm just sick of it, but I feel like there are great DS options right now.

If you are comfortable with those LSs, I'm going to assume you are comfortable with mains. I think based on that, I would look at HD, Bridge SSA, BHBM, and ASM. What matchups are you struggling with for these decks (you specifically mentioned HD and BHBM)? I think these decks can be favored against LS mains, so you will have to focus on your bad matchups.
Honestly the big problem I have is No Idea and OA (which isn’t really popular at the moment). I just flat out struggle to beat it with DS mains. EBO is tough, but it’s always going to be tough for a good chunk of decks if you don’t tech for it, etc. and isn’t making up as much of the field right now.

I also tend to beat HD and BHBM with LS mains and lose to LS mains as the DS player. I think some of it has been luck, and small sample bias. If I was a better player, these matchups should at least be close to a coin flip if you build HD or BHBM with that in mind.

I do appreciate the advice and think maybe one route to go is to take something like HD and understand the No Idea and OA (to a lesser extent unless it becomes popular again) matchups better and try to maximum my performance against decks that HD can/should beat.

I definitely like HD and BHBM better than Court simply because I’m convinced the LS mains matchup is bad, especially against a strong opponent.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

rsersen wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:43 pm
DS...good luck. Picking a deck is more Rock Paper Scissors than anytime I can remember in the last couple years. Anything you pick is going to struggle (if not flat-out fold) against at least one of the LS archetypes (scrubs, space, mains). And if you try to tech for it all, you end up with a jack of all trades deck that doesn’t master any of them.

AOBS is the one deck that probably has a path to victory against anything, although the games are mentally exhausting. Still, worth getting in the reps and learning it. Map pretty much has no good matchups left, wouldn’t bother with it again until there’s more FO cards. Otherwise...just play your favorite rock and hope you don’t run into paper, I guess.
I completely agree with everything in this post

For OCS I’m just picking one of 3 DS I like and hoping I can go 4-2 by avoiding a brutal string of bad matchups

And I’m just removing the tech for the paper to my rock since it’s futile to include

Tl;dr - hope your LS opponents are bored of TRM and don’t play it
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 58-26 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

stephengascrub

Post by stephengascrub »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 8:06 am
rsersen wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:43 pm

I completely agree with everything in this post

For OCS I’m just picking one of 3 DS I like and hoping I can go 4-2 by avoiding a brutal string of bad matchups

And I’m just removing the tech for the paper to my rock since it’s futile to include

Tl;dr - hope your LS opponents are bored of TRM and don’t play it
Agree, well as much as a poorly informed run of the mill player can. :lol:

I think I’m going to try to stick with AOBS as much as possible, but I think for your other DS deck/decks you just pick your poison.

Last night I think I came up with a decent way to improve HD’s matchup versus NI, but it’s nothing good players haven’t already thought of, and it warps the deck too much in other matchups for anything except match play. I think you and Bill are right that you just accept the RPS more or less, and make sure you maximize your ability to win your good and fair matchups. You might slide in S&D, if Eric Hunter gets everyone on the EBO train, but too much tech usually hurts you more than it helps.

Again thanks for the advice everyone.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Return to “General Discussion”