shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Re: Coronavirus

Post by shawnd1984 »

arebelspy wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 4:11 pm
Government is already losing a ton of revenue from lost sales tax and such... nixing lotto too could really hurt.
Sure. But I am a proponent of getting rid of the lottery period. But it rings hollow when we're told about making sacrifices, and you can still buy scratchers. Bad optics.

3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Do you guys buy lotto scratchers at the cashier or do you use a self-serve kiosk?
Greg Zinn

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Gergall wrote:Do you guys buy lotto scratchers at the cashier or do you use a self-serve kiosk?
No.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Gergall wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 11:31 am
Do you guys buy lotto scratchers at the cashier or do you use a self-serve kiosk?
Self serve so i dont get judged for the $30 scratchers

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

So it has finally made its way to my job. We're now at 2 confirmed cases (out of about 300 workers). They just quarantined about 10 people though. Of course one of those quarantined is someone that I had to help fix their computer before they were quarantined. He gets his test back by Monday. So I'll be over here doing some self-quarantining until then. Hopefully he comes back clear and I can skate by. But my luck I'll get it. I get pretty much everything. I've missed worlds because of pneumonia. I had walking pneumonia right before a TMW. I've had bronchitis almost yearly for the past few years. I've been told to start getting the pneumonia shot every year now.

What gets me though is it got started because an employee went to a memorial day party. People need to realize this * is still out there. Its still dangerous. I'm terrified of it because of my past health issues. Company has done what they could to protect us with policies and work place restrictions. But they can only do so much. If someone doesn't abide by social distancing and brings it to work, it can easily spread. Especially to someone in my position of IT and support.

Because of 2nd case at plant, we are now required to wear face masks at work. I've been assisting HR in getting new desks and offices set up to help people get apart from each other.

But we are essential in what we do. Our company has many contracts with the government for infrastructure needs. We are definitely needed but if this spreads, it can spread fast. So we'll see. Next few weeks will definitely be interesting. Hell, next week will be very interesting.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

It's wild to me that there are workplaces in this country with 300 employees who are required to go to work but aren't required to wear masks. Living in NYC, it's hard to fathom. I'm not allowed to get my mail from the building lobby without a mask.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

rhendon wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm
So it has finally made its way to my job. We're now at 2 confirmed cases (out of about 300 workers).
You don't think the majority of the people there have had it already?
rhendon wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm
We are definitely needed but if this spreads, it can spread fast. So we'll see. Next few weeks will definitely be interesting. Hell, next week will be very interesting.
I don't think you'll see anything particularly interesting happen.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

spideyguy0 wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm
It's wild to me that there are workplaces in this country with 300 employees who are required to go to work but aren't required to wear masks.
The facility I work at has a lot more than 300 employees.
They issued masks on May 29, and began enforcing the policy on June 1.
It's pretty much intolerable. Like, I knew it would suck, but it's even worse than I imagined. I can't get over the fact that maybe 2-3% of our staff was doing this to themselves voluntarily every day.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

spideyguy0 wrote:
It's wild to me that there are workplaces in this country with 300 employees who are required to go to work but aren't required to wear masks. Living in NYC, it's hard to fathom. I'm not allowed to get my mail from the building lobby without a mask.
We are extremely rural where I work. Like confirmed cases is still less than what NY has per day. Part of that is likely lack of testing but part if it is being so rural that social distancing isn't much of a choice as it is just a daily aspect of life. Plus that 300 is split into multiple shifts that are staggered so its like 100ish in a giant plant where 6 feet is pretty easy to achieve.
Hunter wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 1:28 am
No I don't think so yet. As explained above plus word would travel fast as would the disease. If a majority had it, I would have had it. If I get it, I'm likely to end up in the hospital because of the bad shape of my lungs already.
Hunter wrote:
Well they will be putting a lot of folks on quarantine starting Monday. I may be one of those folks. The person who I found out tested positive yesterday had a lot of interaction with people, including upper management since he was interviewing for a position last week as well.

Then there is the chance I get it. Not looking forward to that.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Hunter wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:
It's wild to me that there are workplaces in this country with 300 employees who are required to go to work but aren't required to wear masks.
It's pretty much intolerable. Like, I knew it would suck, but it's even worse than I imagined. I can't get over the fact that maybe 2-3% of our staff was doing this to themselves voluntarily every day.
Yeah, it's wild that some people are so magnanimous they would put up with discomfort for the sake of others' health.

/s

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

rhendon wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Hunter wrote:
No I don't think so yet. As explained above plus word would travel fast as would the disease.
Yes, the disease would probably travel very fast. The "word" not so much, up until someone finally gets a diagnosis (as has happened now).
rhendon wrote:
If a majority had it, I would have had it.
More than likely, yeah. If a majority of the workers there have had it, then you probably have too.
rhendon wrote:
If I get it, I'm likely to end up in the hospital because of the bad shape of my lungs already.
Orrr...you could just be completely asymptomatic, like so many of the rest of the infected?
rhendon wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Well they will be putting a lot of folks on quarantine starting Monday. I may be one of those folks.
Sorry, I should clarify. I only mean that I don't think you'll see a bunch of people getting super-sick.

But yes, you might still see lots of interesting, bizarre, or crazy things happen. They'll just be interesting/bizarre/crazy things that people do in response to the positive tests. Not anything that the Coronavirus itself is doing.

Which matches the pattern we've seen for the past few months. The Coronavirus doesn't do anything that unusual. It's our REACTIONS to it that are like nothing we've ever seen before.

And it will be what the people did (and NOT anything the virus did) that will leave a lasting impression in our lives and minds. So that decades later, when the story is told, the focus of the story won't be that there were X number of infections, or that Y number of people succumbed to that infection. Because those aren't the parts of the story that are interesting, or shocking. The focus of the story will be how we responded to those infections. All the insane things we did, that we'd never done before.

The Covid "Pandemic" is not the AMAZING, unprecedented historical event that is taking place here. The Covid "Panic" is the AMAZING, unprecedented historical event that we are witnessing.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Hunter wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:
Yeah, it's wild that some people are so magnanimous they would put up with discomfort for the sake of others' health.

/s
Would've thought this goes without saying, but naturally, they were doing it for the sake of their OWN health. These were people who said that they identified as "high-risk" and thought that if they were to contract a severe case, they were more likely than average to be in real danger from it.

I did not hear a single person be so goddamn sanctimonious as to pretend that they were doing it only to protect the health of others.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Hunter wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:05 pm
I did not hear a single person be so goddamn sanctimonious as to pretend that they were doing it only to protect the health of others.
Well sure, why would they say that?

But the point of the mask is to protect others. It stops your own droplets from getting past, in case you have COIVD and are asymptomatic.

I am aware of many people who wear it for the benefit of society.

I thought this was literally common knowledge.

This article, for example, is from back in April: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... lf/610336/

Maybe those people were high risk. Maybe some of them were just good people. But it shocks me that there weren't more good people there, wearing masks at their own inconvenience for the sake of others who they may interact with without knowing that person is high risk?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Okay people reading this, tell me if you had Hunter's understanding, or mine.

Do only high risk people wear masks, or does plenty of people who aren't high risk wear them to help protect the health of others?

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

arebelspy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Do only high risk people wear masks, or does plenty of people who aren't high risk wear them to help protect the health of others?
The latter.

I feel for the folks on the front lines in grocery stores etc. It's gotta be scary/frustrating/stressful to be working in an environment and have people come up to you without masks. "Could that person unknowingly infect me?" Would be the question I'd constantly be asking myself if I were in their position.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Wear a mask every time I go out. It’s both, I don’t want to get it, nor do I want to infect if I’m asymptomatic. I’m not high risk but still don’t want to get it.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Hayes wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:31 pm
arebelspy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:25 pm

The latter.

I feel for the folks on the front lines in grocery stores etc. It's gotta be scary/frustrating/stressful to be working in an environment and have people come up to you without masks. "Could that person unknowingly infect me?" Would be the question I'd constantly be asking myself if I were in their position.
Early on during shutdown I tipped the cash register person at the grocery store $20 each time I went.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Hunter wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Well sure, why would they say that?
Why would they say they were doing it to protect the health of others? If it were true. THAT'S why they would say it, Joe. IF it were TRUE. lol

And none of them said it.
arebelspy wrote:
But the point of the mask is to protect others. It stops your own droplets from getting past, in case you have COIVD and are asymptomatic.
Watch this: The point of the mask is to protect yourself. It stops someone else's droplets from getting past (even the lower-quality respirator masks are still two-way), in case they have COVID and are asymptomatic (or are symptomatic!)
arebelspy wrote:
How come you can't read? What do you mean about my "understanding?" What did it sound like my "understanding" was BASED upon? I already told you that's what the people in question SAID, themselves.

We had notices from the CDC plastered all over the walls (this is a government facility, under 24-hour armed guard), with what you should and should not be doing regarding the pandemic. And under what not to do, it said the general public does not need to be wearing masks, if you're not sick. Our policy was also that if you were sick with any sort of respiratory illness (regardless of whether you thought it was likely to be Covid-related) you were not to come to work.

So NO ONE on my team wore a mask to work without me asking them WHY. And again, zero responses about "protecting others." So if you were in my shoes, what would your "understanding" have been? :roll:

Kjeld
Starter
Starter

Post by Kjeld »

I wear a mask a bit for myself (it offers some protection) but also for others, for whom it offers a lot more protection.

Quick point about masks. If most everyone wore one whenever they were near other people (like within 10' or so), it would make a significant impact on the transmission rate. Simple physics, as the virus is mostly borne on airborne droplets, and a mask dramatically reduces the airflow away from your face. In other words, the mask does not primarily stop droplets, it reduces the airflow from your mouth into the surrounding space. Entirely different mechanism. Read more here: https://theconversation.com/masks-help- ... ing-138507.

As to Hunter's factually inaccurate statement that COVID-19 is nothing out of the ordinary, it's just wrong. COVID-19 is caused by a brand new virus to which human populations have never been exposed. As a result of its circulation, 100,000 Americans have died because of COVID-19 -- these are entirely excess deaths beyond what would be expected in a "normal" year in the United States. You can see the figures for yourself on CDC's website:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Kjeld wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 7:53 pm
As to Hunter's factually inaccurate statement that COVID-19 is nothing out of the ordinary, it's just wrong. COVID-19 is caused by a brand new virus to which human populations have never been exposed.
So? A lot of pandemics were caused by viruses "to which human populations have never been exposed." That's not unique. Not even a little bit.

The Coronavirus causes infections. Yeah, viruses do that sometimes. We've seen plenty of that before.
Sometimes those Coronavirus infections kill the host. Yeah, infections do that sometimes. We've seen plenty of that before.

What we've NEVER seen before is all the wacky sh*t humans have done in reaction to this particular virus.

Do you deny any of the following? Because you SHOULDN'T.
Hunter wrote:And it will be what the people did (and NOT anything the virus did) that will leave a lasting impression in our lives and minds. So that decades later, when the story is told, the focus of the story won't be that there were X number of infections, or that Y number of people succumbed to that infection. Because those aren't the parts of the story that are interesting, or shocking. The focus of the story will be how we responded to those infections. All the insane things we did, that we'd never done before.

The Covid "Pandemic" is not the AMAZING, unprecedented historical event that is taking place here. The Covid "Panic" is the AMAZING, unprecedented historical event that we are witnessing.

Return to “Off Topic”