BFred is the Man

SWCCG game play discussion.
Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Re: BFred is the Man

Post by Hutch »

BFred can successfully play Sense with no characters on the table. He targets his own ability, which is 8.

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Hutch wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:02 pm
BFred can successfully play Sense with no characters on the table. He targets his own ability: 316
ftfy
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Kimura wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 7:09 pm
Fake news!

BFred made me sit at a different table at B-Dubs when I ordered something that wasn't wings.

#worstswccgplayerever
As someone who never orders wings at B-Dubs, this is very useful knowledge for future events.

But I still love Bfred despite this alleged food discrimination.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

Jedicon
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Jedicon »

rsersen wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Kimura wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 7:09 pm
Fake news!

BFred made me sit at a different table at B-Dubs when I ordered something that wasn't wings.

#worstswccgplayerever
As someone who never orders wings at B-Dubs, this is very useful knowledge for future events.

But I still love Bfred despite this alleged food discrimination.
If you are just ordering appetizers, I can see not getting wings.

I can't imagine going to BWW and ordering a burger though.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

I just don’t think the wings are that good, and if it was up to me I’d simply never go to a B-Dubs.

But when I’m part of a larger group that all want to go, I’ll find other things on the menu. The Southwest Philly cheesesteak is surprisingly pretty good.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

You guys are what makes BFred the man he is, I love you guys, this is all pure win!

Does anyone have any good BFred stories to share... Sometimes i forgot stuff and love to remember the good times! Post a memory of me that you have and I will post one of you in return!

stealtheblind
GEMP Username: shaw67193

Post by stealtheblind »

At mpc a number of years ago, so hopefully I have the details right:

It's a late Saturday evening, a handful of us leave the hotel to go get beer. Our only option given the hour is a decent trek from the hotel along George St. We're barely half block into the journey and Bfred realizes he's holding a beer already. He takes one more sip and then places the bottle in a tall potted plant on the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who sees this. There's like 7 of us in all, so we slowly make our way to the liquor store. We stock up and make our way back to the hotel. A solid hour has passed. As we get close to the hotel, Bfred, Vik, and I are talking about some random nonsense. Out of nowhere, Bfred interrupts the conversation with a shout.

"THE SHRUBBERY!"

He reaches into a tall potted plant on the sidewalk, pulls out a bottle of beer, takes a big swig, and tries to continue on the conversation as normal. Having seen Bfred put it there in the first place, I thought it was hilarious. But watching Vik process the sequence of events...I don't think I've ever seen him so perplexed, disgusted, and amused, and definitely not all at once.
Gregory Shaw

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

stealtheblind wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm
At mpc a number of years ago, so hopefully I have the details right:

It's a late Saturday evening, a handful of us leave the hotel to go get beer. Our only option given the hour is a decent trek from the hotel along George St. We're barely half block into the journey and Bfred realizes he's holding a beer already. He takes one more sip and then places the bottle in a tall potted plant on the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who sees this. There's like 7 of us in all, so we slowly make our way to the liquor store. We stock up and make our way back to the hotel. A solid hour has passed. As we get close to the hotel, Bfred, Vik, and I are talking about some random nonsense. Out of nowhere, Bfred interrupts the conversation with a shout.

"THE SHRUBBERY!"

He reaches into a tall potted plant on the sidewalk, pulls out a bottle of beer, takes a big swig, and tries to continue on the conversation as normal. Having seen Bfred put it there in the first place, I thought it was hilarious. But watching Vik process the sequence of events...I don't think I've ever seen him so perplexed, disgusted, and amused, and definitely not all at once.
Lmao! I remember this... Memory might be a little hazy, but I'm pretty sure it was a 40 ounce (I hate drinking out of things without kids/caps, especially if has been sitting around) we were going up the hill to some restaurant i think, and I stashed the 40 in one of those little plant/bush type things sitting at the front of the restaurant.

Ok, my then! Now I have known Gregory K Shaw a number of years and played him a ton of times (pretty sure we first played at fcon) and had some good games. One time in 2002 at worlds I was wys and Greg must have been huntdown because he got top 2 with that. The first time I played control tunnel vision he grabbed it, and in the end I got him in an it's a hit/Icbw lock and pulled out a close one. We had a discussion how it's probably never the right play to grab control tunnel no matter how annoying it is to allow 4 uses. Years later we played and the first time I played it he snap grabbed it again, and I'm pretty sure something similar happened haha... Moral of the story... Make sure you think twice before grabbing ritc... Or control tunnel vission!

I have another... Not sure this one is mine to tell, but here we go! Another mpc story... Many of you have probably already heard it. I'm heading back to my room and run into Harpster (who has been trying to arm wrestle me all night and is belligerently drunk). I'm thinking "oh *, here we go" and he starts trying to wrestle me and gets me in some sort of headlock. Poor Kristian Lund has somehow got stuck with babysitting duty and pries him off of me after several minutes. About that time Greg Shaw comes strolling around the corner and catches a glimpse of Harpster and stops dead in his tracks. Harpster points at him and tells Greg Shaw and something along the lines of what the * are you doing. Before anything else can happen Greg turns around and takes off the same way he came, and Harpster immediately takes off after him telling at Greg the whole time. Kristian looks at me with this look of total frustration and despair and is like "what should i do!? Do you think I need to knock him out?" I try snd convince him to try and get him to bed and then he takes off running after Harpster who has at least a 30 second head start. While Harpster is distracted I hastily make my retreat to my room... Not sure what ever became of poor Greg Shaw that night!

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

Thanks for letting me use your * a few years ago!

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Brian Fred (and Jan) flew in early one year for TMW to hang out with me in Austin. Jan arrived late so we delayed BBQ until the next day. Of course Jan tells the story from the airport in Denver about how he almost didn't arrive. People who know Jan, know he dabbles in smoking. Well when he was going through security that day at airport, he gets pulled over for a security check. He then remembers he had some weed in his jacket pocket. The guy reaches into the bag, and grabs his jacket. Jan is wondering what is about to happen since it is legal in Denver but not where he was traveling. Guy ends up moving jacket to the side to grab Jan's toothpaste and tells him he can't fly with that. Brian and I both are astonished in car when hearing the story. We laugh.

Next day we go to get some BBQ after BFred almost made me want to quit Star Wars by broken conc locking me for 3 games in a row so I could try and figure out some better plan against it with what I wanted to play at TMW before giving up. We go to a local Austin place that is a favorite of mine, without a long wait. We get our sides and I'm leading the way with what to grab. We get up to front to order our meat and they ask if we want sausage. I'm like yea. Jan/BFred decline but I'm like it is good. So I grab only about half of what I would have ordered. We get back and start grabbing plates. I find that most of the sausage is gone. They both enjoyed it and BFred had this big grin on his face after stealing it from me. Kicks me down in SWCCG only to steal my sausage later. This also sounds like a dirty pun but I'm leaving it there.

My favorite BFred story though is when we were in Pitt for Nats. After the team event, we all gather to go get food. I forget where we went, maybe the Pitt guys can remember. It was good but the best part is as we were walking back. There are like 11 of us and BFred and I were up front kind of separated by the rest by a few feet. We are walking past this bar and we hear this guy yell "Nerds" at our group. I didn't think it was directed towards us at first. I guess BFred didn't either. That guy I guess didn't like us not reacting so he yells it again. This time we both look over and see his friend trying to pull him back inside and hide him from us. BFred and I look at each other and are like did he just call us nerds? I look at him and just say I think we got Ogre'd. We laugh and ignore it. We also found it funny that his friend had a worried look on his face as he was pulling his friend away. I guess he was worried he might have just pissed off these nerds. BFred is def not a small guy so I guess he was a bit worried. If he only knew BFred was more like a teddy bear, he probably wouldn't have been so worried.

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:04 am
Omg! Bahahahaha

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

rhendon wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:19 am
Brian Fred (and Jan) flew in early one year for TMW to hang out with me in Austin. Jan arrived late so we delayed BBQ until the next day. Of course Jan tells the story from the airport in Denver about how he almost didn't arrive. People who know Jan, know he dabbles in smoking. Well when he was going through security that day at airport, he gets pulled over for a security check. He then remembers he had some weed in his jacket pocket. The guy reaches into the bag, and grabs his jacket. Jan is wondering what is about to happen since it is legal in Denver but not where he was traveling. Guy ends up moving jacket to the side to grab Jan's toothpaste and tells him he can't fly with that. Brian and I both are astonished in car when hearing the story. We laugh.

Next day we go to get some BBQ after BFred almost made me want to quit Star Wars by broken conc locking me for 3 games in a row so I could try and figure out some better plan against it with what I wanted to play at TMW before giving up. We go to a local Austin place that is a favorite of mine, without a long wait. We get our sides and I'm leading the way with what to grab. We get up to front to order our meat and they ask if we want sausage. I'm like yea. Jan/BFred decline but I'm like it is good. So I grab only about half of what I would have ordered. We get back and start grabbing plates. I find that most of the sausage is gone. They both enjoyed it and BFred had this big grin on his face after stealing it from me. Kicks me down in SWCCG only to steal my sausage later. This also sounds like a dirty pun but I'm leaving it there.

My favorite BFred story though is when we were in Pitt for Nats. After the team event, we all gather to go get food. I forget where we went, maybe the Pitt guys can remember. It was good but the best part is as we were walking back. There are like 11 of us and BFred and I were up front kind of separated by the rest by a few feet. We are walking past this bar and we hear this guy yell "Nerds" at our group. I didn't think it was directed towards us at first. I guess BFred didn't either. That guy I guess didn't like us not reacting so he yells it again. This time we both look over and see his friend trying to pull him back inside and hide him from us. BFred and I look at each other and are like did he just call us nerds? I look at him and just say I think we got Ogre'd. We laugh and ignore it. We also found it funny that his friend had a worried look on his face as he was pulling his friend away. I guess he was worried he might have just pissed off these nerds. BFred is def not a small guy so I guess he was a bit worried. If he only knew BFred was more like a teddy bear, he probably wouldn't have been so worried.
Dangit, you stole the best stories! Ok... I got work with leftovers so here we go! Same trip that Jan and I came to visit on. I'm seriously starving when I land and am tslkibg to Robbie before he picks me up and he asks what i want. All i really want is a good burger and he assures me he knows a great place that I will love! So we are driving down the road just bsing and I see a Culvers and am like "oh *" you have Culvers in Texas!? He then proceeds to turn into Culvers and I'm like "!?" Apparently the great burger place turned out to just be Culvers... I was expecting some super fancy blow your mind type of place and we ended up at a place I eat at probably 1 or 2 times a month! I let him hear about it all week long! Hahaha

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

retwin316 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 11:36 am

Dangit, you stole the best stories! Ok... I got work with leftovers so here we go! Same trip that Jan and I came to visit on. I'm seriously starving when I land and am tslkibg to Robbie before he picks me up and he asks what i want. All i really want is a good burger and he assures me he knows a great place that I will love! So we are driving down the road just bsing and I see a Culvers and am like "oh *" you have Culvers in Texas!? He then proceeds to turn into Culvers and I'm like "!?" Apparently the great burger place turned out to just be Culvers... I was expecting some super fancy blow your mind type of place and we ended up at a place I eat at probably 1 or 2 times a month! I let him hear about it all week long! Hahaha
I almost posted this but I left it for you.

I didn't know they were a chain. It is the only one in Austin.

I asked BFred if he didn't like them. He was like no they are great. And I said, so what's the problem?

Plus the BBQ the next day I think made up for it.

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

It definitely did, and I definitely wasn't unhappy about Culvers, they are certainly great! Haha

lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Post by lsrubin »

The coronavirus is now in isolation after being exposed to Brian Fred.
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

I used to chat with BFred on AIM about swccg all the time like 20 years ago and finally met him in person at the Las Vegas premier series LOTR tcg event. we talked for a bit before the tournament and then got matched up against each other in game 1. he was playing the uruk bomb deck but I double moved every turn and won before he could get his hand set up for a bomb. sorry it's not a swccg story.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Shadow 13 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 8:36 am
I used to chat with BFred on AIM about swccg all the time like 20 years ago and finally met him in person at the Las Vegas premier series LOTR tcg event. we talked for a bit before the tournament and then got matched up against each other in game 1. he was playing the uruk bomb deck but I double moved every turn and won before he could get his hand set up for a bomb. sorry it's not a swccg story.
I seem to recall this, I always seemed to struggle at those events and then do decently at worlds.

I remember one worlds, maybe 2006 or 2007. I played Ryan French last game of Swiss, pretty sure winner made top 8. I had dark lsc with propaganda bomb and Ryan had wys. During the course of the game he is doing his thing and me mine. I notice he hasn't deployed a single defensive shield and I make a comment about it to which he replies something along the lines of "I've never lost to lightsaber combat in my life, I don't need shields" probably not a direct quote, but he made it very clear he didn't need shields to beat me.

Somewhere along the line he plays its a hit to cancel a drain and I grab it. So after I get like 3 propaganda v out he drains for 3 at vessel and I drop the non v one, he plays control and I cancel it with brief loss of control v. He then proceeds to use Icbw for 8, and i play its worse for some obscene amount, followed by a limited resources on my turn. We are both pretty low on force so he has to go for the drain at kessel next turn and I play an other non v prop for 10 this time and that's the game!

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

retwin316 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 3:53 am
Somewhere along the line he plays its a hit to cancel a drain and I grab it. So after I get like 3 propaganda v out he drains for 3 at vessel and I drop the non v one, he plays control and I cancel it with brief loss of control v. He then proceeds to use Icbw for 8, and i play its worse for some obscene amount, followed by a limited resources on my turn. We are both pretty low on force so he has to go for the drain at kessel next turn and I play an other non v prop for 10 this time and that's the game!
I've always wanted Propaganda to work, but never found a way. Thanks for sharing!
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Sadly most of the legacy v cards that are gone now made this deck. Not having a control cancel is really rough

Return to “General Discussion”