One more errata Part Deux

SWCCG game play discussion.
Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

One more errata Part Deux

Post by Hazardville »

Remember when I said I was waiting for a message from Chris Kelly?

chriskelly 5:39 AM
Hey I saw your post but can’t find it now... you can for sure say Firepower/Weapons Display will have the exact same text.

I bring you the new and improved Firepower/Weapons Display V:

Defensive Shield
<no text>

That's right, I've been told by Chris that these shields are being blanked. Discuss.

Justin Miyashiro

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Re: One more errata Part Deux

Post by shawnd1984 »

Yay
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

I trust CK and co. that this is a good change.

That said, I never understood the dislike for these shields, whether separately or individually, or the similar dislike for them being non-mirrors.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

TRM Farm apologist and member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I like it.

I also wasn't with the haters, but if I were thinking about the card, I'd just want one damage, not 2, and the retrieval is eh. So I'm good with them going.

I think I'm quite happy with like 8 of the 10 proposed changes. Good work so far 👍

Tarelion
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: Tarelion

Post by Tarelion »

I like it, too.

Bib Fortuna
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by Bib Fortuna »

Will we have to manually edit all of our Gemp deck files to remove those shields, or will it be done automatically when the card is no longer in the database?
They fly now!

TheLuhks
GEMP Username: Luhks

Post by TheLuhks »

I disliked the retrieval mechanism on these shields. It often penalized you for trying to deploy things to reinforce your own battlegrounds, which is completely viable and not something that should be shielded against.
FINN: I need a weapon.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Bib Fortuna wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 2:47 am
Will we have to manually edit all of our Gemp deck files to remove those shields, or will it be done automatically when the card is no longer in the database?
Even worse- we will lose the foil version of it!!

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

TheLuhks wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 7:44 am
I disliked the retrieval mechanism on these shields. It often penalized you for trying to deploy things to reinforce your own battlegrounds, which is completely viable and not something that should be shielded against.
This is is the part of the card I liked. But I always thought it was pretty weird text for a defensive shield. I wouldnt mind seeing the text come back on an effect or like a objective flip side or something.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 8:46 am
TheLuhks wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 7:44 am
This is is the part of the card I liked. But I always thought it was pretty weird text for a defensive shield. I wouldnt mind seeing the text come back on an effect or like a objective flip side or something.
Agreed.

When they were made though, the game and meta were in a different place that these were good shields. Game has changed and with doom stacking sites/systems it made it hard to get around these shields and so your opponent was rewarded for doom stacking even more.

It kind of shows why we need to be careful with shields. Shielding a strategy can be worse than shielding NPE cards since strategies change but the text of the cards (Decipher ones at least) don't.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Bib Fortuna wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 2:47 am
The cards that are blanked should just disappear, which means for these defensive shields, no work is needed by the players since there is no limit or restriction on number of shields. However, for other blanked main deck cards (such as AAAv and CDv) this will leave a hole in your deck at 59 cards, so those will have to be fixed by the players.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

What about Arcona abuse?

Easy for LS space decks with two adjacent bg sites to satisfy Battle Order and Search & Destroy, blocking a drain to boot.
Sure, you need to pack Houjix's against Lana Dobreed & Sacrifice, but that's worth it. Yops can easily fetch the docking bay via Insurrection and use Dodonna v to get the 2/2. Space decks aside, so many other decks like OA or Tatooine/Cloud City Celebration decks can easily benefit from Arcona.

DS has Chief Retwin (you can let him sit in a starfighter to protect from weapons) and Defel with Sunsdown, more expensive and combo heavy.
Last edited by FlorisV on October 1st, 2020, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

We specifically talked about Arcona -- have at it! There are lots of counters for DS and ways to cancel the react, so you definitely need houjix (probably in multiples) to make it viable.

As the LS player you are really paying for it if vader enforcer + lightsaber (and IAYF) comes down with first strike. You're losing 2 + arcona + houjix, letting them retrieve. And if your strategy against this is to keep using card slots on more arcona and houjix, it's going to cost you elsewhere.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

I'd ask why a deck like Y4O isn't already doing this. Like you said, easy to set up. And so what if you lose 2 to Firepower - no big deal, you retrieve it back between Luke and the 7 side. Seems like that would be well worth draining for free and shutting off S&D, right?

But DS has so many answers now - Ghhhk combo, Sense, Lana combo, Vader enforcer. And even if you can Houjix out of it, now you've given up a 2/2 that happens to be a Rebel Base site, so ISB and their Garrisons say thank you for the drain 5.

I don't think Firepower is the main deterrent to Arconas right now. Most LS decks can mitigate losing 2. It's the increasingly high chance that their strategy gets blown up by one of the 3-4 cards that's in every DS deck.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

But what about Arcona?

Berm
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Berm »

rsersen wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 11:12 am
I'd ask why a deck like Y4O isn't already doing this. Like you said, easy to set up. And so what if you lose 2 to Firepower - no big deal, you retrieve it back between Luke and the 7 side. Seems like that would be well worth draining for free and shutting off S&D, right?

But DS has so many answers now - Ghhhk combo, Sense, Lana combo, Vader enforcer. And even if you can Houjix out of it, now you've given up a 2/2 that happens to be a Rebel Base site, so ISB and their Garrisons say thank you for the drain 5.

I don't think Firepower is the main deterrent to Arconas right now. Most LS decks can mitigate losing 2. It's the increasingly high chance that their strategy gets blown up by one of the 3-4 cards that's in every DS deck.
Even if DS didn't have many answers, you were losing 2 to Firepower to satisfy the 2 force loss from Search & Destroy - no net benefit there and increased risk. You save the force drain cost of 3 per, but your drains are typically for 2+ at each system and paying isn't that troublesome for that level of efficiency to make sure you get an Arcona & houjix in hand.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

If arconas are abused, you can rethink and bring these back in better form. I highly doubt they become a huge problem though and won't be worth the risk/effort to use this as your main source of ground package.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I thought these shields were great, but I guess that are bigger hills to die on
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Great, now QMC takes less damage while running away all game. Sounds fun to play against

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

I'm super curious what will happen now that LS can run away again.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Return to “General Discussion”