Gemp: Post Rage quit complaints and Conduct complaints here

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Gemp: Post Rage quit complaints and Conduct complaints here

Post by arebelspy »

quickdraw3457 wrote:He served his time before and came back. Not every ban is permanent, we aren't in the business of perma-banning people from our community willy nilly.

This recent behavior is inappropriate but not ban worthy based on what I've seen. I recommend just avoiding players you don't enjoy playing against for now.
I think both of these paragraphs are the healthiest, most mature attitude for a community to have.

A lifetime ban is a big step, and there's only one person who's ever warranted it.

Good moderation takes restraint, and that's hard when someone can be a bit toxic. Even the person banned for a year should be welcomed back, if he so choose.

Escalating length of bans is the best way, IMO, for repeated violations.

But an attempt to engage in conversation and then a "well, you don't like me and I don't like you" quit is maybe a bit annoying, but not egregious.

Thanks for the even-handed decisions, quickdraw, and for communicating about it via this post (instead of people wondering why he's back and being ignored). Kudos Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 10:54 am
He served his time before and came back. Not every ban is permanent, we aren't in the business of perma-banning people from our community willy nilly.

This recent behavior is inappropriate but not ban worthy based on what I've seen. I recommend just avoiding players you don't enjoy playing against for now.
My understanding was that he had been permanently banned and was brought back after apologizing and reaching out to you(based on posts earlier in the thread.) It seems to me that the distinction is important. If he was temporarily banned and came back acting like a jerk but not doing anything truly banworthy, that would be one thing. If the intention was that he was permanently banned for using hate speech and was brought back saying he'd do better and he generally hasn't demonstrated that he's changed his attitude, including going off on a player on a stream that could have been viewed by folks outside of the community, the bar for a ban(longer or lifetime) should be lower.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Corran wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 12:35 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
He served his time before and came back. Not every ban is permanent, we aren't in the business of perma-banning people from our community willy nilly.

My understanding was that he had been permanently banned and was brought back after apologizing and reaching out to you(based on posts earlier in the thread.) It seems to me that the distinction is important. If he was temporarily banned and came back acting like a jerk but not doing anything truly banworthy, that would be one thing. If the intention was that he was permanently banned for using hate speech and was brought back saying he'd do better and he generally hasn't demonstrated that he's changed his attitude, including going off on a player on a stream that could have been viewed by folks outside of the community, the bar for a ban(longer or lifetime) should be lower.
He was never banned permanently and almost all of the time that wouldn't be public knowledge. The misunderstanding may have come about because gemp still only allows us to show the message "permanently banned", so even if someone is banned for 2 weeks, it will still say "permanent" when they try to log in. That's a bug in the system and not indicative of the actual bans, and it's one reason I reach out to people on the side if they do receive a ban. Because we don't have any account authentication, the only way I have to reach out to people that I don't know off gemp is if they post/reach out to me. I'm always happy to talk to people if that's the case.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 1:02 pm
Corran wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 12:35 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:

He was never banned permanently and almost all of the time that wouldn't be public knowledge. The misunderstanding may have come about because gemp still only allows us to show the message "permanently banned", so even if someone is banned for 2 weeks, it will still say "permanent" when they try to log in. That's a bug in the system and not indicative of the actual bans, and it's one reason I reach out to people on the side if they do receive a ban. Because we don't have any account authentication, the only way I have to reach out to people that I don't know off gemp is if they post/reach out to me. I'm always happy to talk to people if that's the case.
Thank you for the clarification.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

TacoBill wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 9:44 am
Nope, shouldn't expect discussion at all.
:yes:

The rudeness is in engaging after it's clear ur opponent isnt responding.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Return to “GEMP (Online Play)”