Japanese Mains Strategy

Learn about rarity, unusual swccg items, and more!
Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Japanese Mains Strategy

Post by Hutch »

I’ve got a short-term goal (within the next year) to get Japanese copies of all of the mains and a couple other iconic cards.
Spoiler
Show
Darth Vader
GMT
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
C-3PO
Millennium Falcon
Chewbacca
Red 5
Commander Luke
General Veers
(Already have Obi, Leia, and R2)
Maybe a few others like Lightsabers, Death Star, Tantive
How would you go about this? Just buy the singles that you want as they become available on eBay, or start with buying sealed product and then buy the remaining ones.

Sealed product on eBay right now:
Premiere booster box-$499
Premiere starters box-$285

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Re: Japanese Mains Strategy

Post by imrahil327 »

Someone can correct me, but I would basically never buy sealed product over singles if you're trying to achieve a specific result.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

imrahil327 wrote:Someone can correct me, but I would basically never buy sealed product over singles if you're trying to achieve a specific result.
I feel like my brain agrees with you. It’s the joy of my heart opening packs that makes it a real discussion. :lol:
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Do you just want the mains, or would you be happy with a (full?) set of commons/uncommons as well? If so, buy sealed, enjoy cracking packs, realise you might only get 1 main and a whole lot of crappy R1 and R2 cards, and then reconsider :)

Back in the day I opened a Premiere booster (English) hoping to get some nice cards, but I had literally NO MAIN (tactical recall x2, yay!). The box was EUR 50 I believe, so not a big loss. However, if you now open a $285 starter box (24 rares) or a $499 booster box (36 rares) there is a good chance you end up with 1-2 mains, some R1 and a lot of R2 cards that cost you $12/13 each but have no real value. You could try to re-sell the rares and a common/uncommon set (requires more that 1 box probably) to recoup your losses

Or you buy a sealed box now, keep it for a few years, and then trade/sell the sealed box and get those mains.

You're probably better off buying a Japanese booster box of ANH for 1-2 of Tantive/Wedge/Chewbacca/Death Star/R2 (who is a R2 rare as well :lol:). Better price per rare, better distribution of playable rares, and there are quite few cool underlying Japanese cards for half slip v-cards that are played in a lot of decks (Imp Justice for instance) so you can show off :)
Gosse Z. - Seattle

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

If you really want to live dangerously, you can buy Reflections II boosters and go after those mains one Japanese card at a time! :lol:
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

As someone who completed Japanese sets recently, my first suggestion to you would be to PM mlock and see what his stock is currently.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

dx_37 wrote:I’ve got a short-term goal (within the next year) to get Japanese copies of all of the mains and a couple other iconic cards.
Spoiler
Show
Darth Vader
GMT
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
C-3PO
Millennium Falcon
Chewbacca
Red 5
Commander Luke
General Veers
(Already have Obi, Leia, and R2)
Maybe a few others like Lightsabers, Death Star, Tantive
How would you go about this? Just buy the singles that you want as they become available on eBay, or start with buying sealed product and then buy the remaining ones.

Sealed product on eBay right now:
Premiere booster box-$499
Premiere starters box-$285
You could probably get a full set for $800-850, so $500 for the box seems like a bad deal.

We do have a bunch of random Japanese cards for the store, they just aren't sorted or organized well. If you have a short list, I can look for specific cards.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

The only full Japanese Premiere sets I’ve seen on eBay in at least 1.5 years have been between $1250-$1500.

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show

mlock
Starter
Starter

Post by mlock »

Yeah I have to say $800-$850 is really low. I've never seen a Japanese Premiere set that low in the 6 or so years I've been collecting Japanese cards. The last couple of full sets I've sold were above $1100+.

Trying to get a few singles by buying sealed product from eBay is going to be real expensive. I wouldn't do it. But you may not have much of a choice, since some of those Japanese mains are harder to come by. If yuou were to buy sealed boxes, it would be cheaper to buy starters instead of boosters, and I've personally had a lot more luck with starters. I may know a couple ways to get sealed boxes from Japan that may be cheaper, but I think it's kind of dried up over there too.

I just recently sold a full set of Premiere so I'm out of most Mains. I only have a C-3PO and Leia left from Premiere. But from ANH I have Chewie, Death Star, Red 5, and Wedge Antilles. The few Hoth rares I have left are up on eBay as a lot.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Check out brian fred, he has a few sets available if im not mistaken

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

There was also a guy on the FB group selling a crap ton of Japanese cards recently (he seriously had like 18 Vaders)

Jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Some interesting eBay auctions going on right now from seller clix247 - Japanese Mains...

Vader is currently $335
Obi $200
3P0 $180
Han $150
Falcon $115.50
Leia $102.50

:shock:

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show

Botzabrand
Starter
Starter

Post by Botzabrand »

I pulled 2 JP Vaders from Reflections 1 or 2, whichever set had JP cards mixed in. I kept one alongside my BB Premiere Vader and sold the other to a non player friend for next to nothing because I thought it was more or less a novelty.

All in all, regardless if your just aiming for JP Mains, if you find sealed boosters for reasonable prices, buy them. Hands down the best packs out of any CCG I've ever played. I never bought R3 packs, and while the Shadows of the Empire live action cards were great, those packs were just full of awesome randomness in the best way. Ratio of Rares and ENG Mains was all over the place

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

This is an old thread, but I’d advise people to buy mains individually. If you’re trying to do anything except collect entire sets from scratch, buying boxes is a fools errand. Even in that case, it still may be.

From Premiere-Hoth we had R1’s, R2’s, etc. Because of that, it’s pretty easy to have a hard time pulling all the mains (mostly R1’s) naturally through packs.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

mlock
Starter
Starter

Post by mlock »

Man, just look at the 2019 prices for Japanese sealed booster and starter boxes up there.
A booster box is now $1700+ and starter box $1000+

sirg
Starter
Starter

Post by sirg »

mlock wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Man, just look at the 2019 prices for Japanese sealed booster and starter boxes up there.
Everyprice you check from 2019 os star wars cards was really lower than now but probably japanese cards are the higger updates.

I'm still 4 to go on premiere :-(

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

mlock wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Yeah I didn't even realize the prices had changed until now. I was just thinking about how $500 for a booster box seems to be a really good price to crack.
Avid SWCCG collector. Buy my $10,000 PSA 10 Darth Vader pls.

Return to “SWCCG Collecting Forum”