Foil card curling and what to do about it

Learn about rarity, unusual swccg items, and more!
racingsrstyle
Starter
Starter

Foil card curling and what to do about it

Post by racingsrstyle »

Hello star wars peeps (that's right ur all marshmallowy lightsaber shaped candy, at least to me)

I tried to search for this but the search page said the words "foil curl" were too common to search for lol. So I'm guessing this has been asked before, don't beat me up for asking again xD.

I have a handful of endor foils that are curled pretty bad. I remember at the time I opened the packs, I didnt want to damage them by trying to flatten them because they were already curled when brand new. So I just popped em in a starter deck box n left them there. But now i think the curling might be worse than before and I'm just curious if anyone has any tips on how (or if) I can make them flatter like normal cards?

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Re: Foil card curling and what to do about it

Post by Hazardville »

I think it’s actually a quirk of the search algorithm that you can’t search terms with 4 or fewer characters. I tried to search R’tic D’nek Hero of the Dune Sea and somehow all those words were “too common.” Right...

On your actual question, I don’t have much experience with Star Wars foils (printing process might be different) but with Magic foils, I’ve had success with putting them under pressure (I usually put the warped foils inside a big book for a while) and I try to store them in sleeves (double sleeves or toploaders when possible). Now that I’ve lived in Colorado for a while, I’ve found it less of an issue due to the dryness of the climate, but those tricks mostly worked for me.
Justin Miyashiro

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Foil cards warp because the cardstock absorbs moisture from the air, and expands as a result of taking on that water. On a normal card this is fine, but the foil overlay doesn't absorb any of that moisture, so it stays the same size, and "fights back" against the rest of the card expanding. This leaves the cardstock no choice but to compensate by curling in.

This is why warped foils are a bigger issue in humid climates, whereas a collector in Arizona or Nevada may never have to deal with it. Trying to flatten the card with heavy books can work, but since it doesn't address the underlying cause, that's been hit or miss for me, and it's usually a temporary fix at best.

A more reliable method I've found is using silica packets (the little things you find in some clothing, food, etc). These exist to absorb moisture away from the products they're in, protecting them from mold or damage. They're also fairly cheap - you can buy 50 packs on Amazon for $8-$10.

Get a bunch of these, and store them and the foils in an airtight container. Leave it for a couple days. It'll dry out the cardstock, and you should see the curling reduce...although you may still need to use the book method to finish flattening it out completely.

If you want to keep the card from curling again after that, I'd recommend keeping it double-sleeved (whether it's in your deck or sitting in storage) to prevent it from re-absorbing any moisture from the air.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

rsersen wrote:Foil cards warp because the cardstock absorbs moisture from the air, and expands as a result of taking on that water. On a normal card this is fine, but the foil overlay doesn't absorb any of that moisture, so it stays the same size, and "fights back" against the rest of the card expanding. This leaves the cardstock no choice but to compensate by curling in.

This is why warped foils are a bigger issue in humid climates, whereas a collector in Arizona or Nevada may never have to deal with it. Trying to flatten the card with heavy books can work, but since it doesn't address the underlying cause, that's been hit or miss for me, and it's usually a temporary fix at best.

A more reliable method I've found is using silica packets (the little things you find in some clothing, food, etc). These exist to absorb moisture away from the products they're in, protecting them from mold or damage. They're also fairly cheap - you can buy 50 packs on Amazon for $8-$10.

Get a bunch of these, and store them and the foils in an airtight container. Leave it for a couple days. It'll dry out the cardstock, and you should see the curling reduce...although you may still need to use the book method to finish flattening it out completely.

If you want to keep the card from curling again after that, I'd recommend keeping it double-sleeved (whether it's in your deck or sitting in storage) to prevent it from re-absorbing any moisture from the air.
This post should be stickied in the collecting forum. Good information and suggestions here!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

I would not keep them loose, but always sleeved and tightly packed.
I sleeve them and store them in binders. Binders are stored horizontally to ensure the weight works to flatten the foils. So far it has always worked :)

racingsrstyle
Starter
Starter

Post by racingsrstyle »

Thank you guys for the responses, really good info here

the thin white duke
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by the thin white duke »

+1 on the silica packets. I used to hoard those
things so I could throw them in card storage boxes. I just picked up a bunch of foils that are warped along the diagonal of the card. I have them sandwiched amongst other cards surrounded by silica packs.
Good trades with: TechTerror, Ajaxconan, Plumbertim, thefetth, swatt9999, Corran, Atma, AdmiralMotti89, Chris Kelly, Lithy
In The Morning!

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

In the absence of silica packets, white rice should also work.

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

It makes sense for foil cards from the moisture angle, but I have a bunch of Ref II premiums that I keep in the same box as Ref III premiums; the ref II have the same inward curve that a lot of foils do while the Ref III remain flat. What might that be about?
Eric Garchow
My Trade Thread
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
Donate to Meals on Wheels and get free SWCCG boosters and other stuff

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Personally I like to let nature take its course and store my foils in the most humid area of the home. After all if my opponents think I'm cheating they can just ask me to proxy.
Spoiler
Show
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Is it really cheating if you play with 100% foils lol

racingsrstyle
Starter
Starter

Post by racingsrstyle »

I'm not really sure what a proxy is, but reminds me back in the day I legit had hoth location cards that I wrote "DARTH VADER" or "EXECUTOR" on with a big fat sharpie. People loved it. And me. IIRC people threw roses at my feet as I entered my local card shop. And only girls frequented it. And worked there.

In other news, brainscan for tumors tomorrow. ;)

ArtificerAlf

Post by ArtificerAlf »

A way I found to flatten foils is to use a crafting iron cloth, turn the iron on low (between silk and wool) and then run the iron over the card (which is under the ironing cloth). I’ve done it quite a bit on some Magic cards (testing it on commons), and it’s worked out fine. You still might have to give them a slight bend back, or throw them in a top loader for a bit, but in general, it works really well.

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
rsersen wrote:Foil cards warp because the cardstock absorbs moisture from the air, and expands as a result of taking on that water. On a normal card this is fine, but the foil overlay doesn't absorb any of that moisture, so it stays the same size, and "fights back" against the rest of the card expanding. This leaves the cardstock no choice but to compensate by curling in.

This post should be stickied in the collecting forum. Good information and suggestions here!
X 2, I was like "man, that is some good *"

ElDuderino
GEMP Username: ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

retwin316 wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 2:45 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:

X 2, I was like "man, that is some good *"
x3

This was super useful (also, I didn't find it at first cause I didn't think to look in general discussion).

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

@ Moderator - can we sticky this thread, please? TY.
Jared Napolitano
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
2020 OCS: 19-5 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Image Image

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:51 am
@ Moderator - can we sticky this thread, please? TY.
Done
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Double sleeping does do wonders... In both decks and binders. I recommend that.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

retwin316 wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Double sleeping does do wonders... In both decks and binders. I recommend that.
Quoting before you edit.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Yeah, I just got a couple curved foils... I have them back-to-back in a KMC Perfect Fit, within an Ultra Pro Pro Matte, in a Ziploc bag with a Silica packet (air squeezed out) underneath a 1,000 page Accounting Guide book.

Will keep ya'll posted =P
Jared Napolitano
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
2020 OCS: 19-5 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Image Image

Return to “SWCCG Collecting Forum”