The Mandalorian (*spoilers* for released episodes only)

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Re: The Mandalorian (*spoilers* for released episodes only)

Post by fungineer »

imrahil327 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 3:24 pm
Funny, I definitely think Baby Yoda is the dumb sounding name.
Better than Yoda Jr.

* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

imrahil327 wrote:
It's not that I love the name Baby Yoda(I do). It's more that "The Child" is such a dumb name. Give him a real name or call him the thing that people call him. It's literally the only complaint I have about the show.

Also, if you want to find the worst people on the internet, find the people who correct others for saying Baby Yoda.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

His name is gonna be Adoy or something dumb like that.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

fungineer wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
imrahil327 wrote:
Better than Yoda Jr.
Din Djunior
Greg Zinn

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

TacoBill wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm
His name is gonna be Adoy or something dumb like that.
Evad Ilonif maybe?
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Or they name him after a legends character to close the door on that character ever being brought into canon again.
Greg Zinn

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

fungineer wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm
imrahil327 wrote:
Better than Yoda Jr.

Sure, I just object to Yoda being used in the name at all, since it's clearly not Yoda, and Yoda is clearly not one-of-a-kind (we have Yaddle).
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

imrahil327 wrote:
Agreed.

Also, if the child is 50 years old, and the only known lifespan for someone of his species is 900 years, then its basically like he is a 5 year old who is expected to live to 90. So, certainly he would be a "child," but a baby generally appears to denote someone younger than 5 from what I can tell.

but, hey, if we are just making up stories here, I am gonna call The Mandalorian "Ralphus Fett, illegitimate son of Boba Fett" and just assume he is telling fake origin stories like The Joker in The Dark Knight.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Guys this is Star Wars. Don't act indignant if it turns out to be Yoda's son. You knew what you signed up for.
Greg Zinn

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

:popcrn:
Gergall wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Guys this is Star Wars. Don't act indignant if it turns out to be Yoda's son. You knew what you signed up for.
Also, Yaddle is a terrible name as well. But most likely star wars explanation (especially if it was main-movie story) Yaddle + Yoda had a kid... 50 years seems to be not too far out of possibility for when we saw yaddle last (EP1)
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

I definitely feel like he is a Yoda clone. Seems to make the most sense to me. I wonder if they will come up with a way to speed up the aging process at some point to at least make him like an adolescent.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

The Franchise wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Also, if the child is 50 years old, and the only known lifespan for someone of his species is 900 years, then its basically like he is a 5 year old who is expected to live to 90. So, certainly he would be a "child," but a baby generally appears to denote someone younger than 5 from what I can tell.
Pretty thoroughly trumped by the fact that this doesn't look like a child to the audience. It looks like a baby.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Corran wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Also, when they introduce Ahsoka, she needs to say "You look just like a Baby Yoda." and then call him Baby Yoda going forward. That's the kind of thing she would say, and also she knew Yoda.
That would be pretty sweet, but it strikes me as being more "giving the people what they want" than you can realistically hope for.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Aglets wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm
I definitely feel like he is a Yoda clone. Seems to make the most sense to me. I wonder if they will come up with a way to speed up the aging process at some point to at least make him like an adolescent.
This recent episode seemed to push a "he's maturing" narrative just a tiny bit.
-Failed attempt at helping out with the wiring. Even though it didn't work, this far exceeds how Baby Yoda was depicted in season 1.
-Greef claiming that Baby Yoda said "Yeah" or at least gave an affirmative squeal.
-Baby Yoda using the force for a selfish personal motive. Not as an instinctual reaction to extreme danger. He's showing he has some Control.
Hunter wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm
The Franchise wrote:
Pretty thoroughly trumped by the fact that this doesn't look like a child to the audience. It looks like a baby.
Also with no disrespect to The Franchise, "dog years" calculations aren't really correct anyway. The show can do whatever it wants.
Greg Zinn

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

Gergall wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Aglets wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm
This recent episode seemed to push a "he's maturing" narrative just a tiny bit.
-Failed attempt at helping out with the wiring. Even though it didn't work, this far exceeds how Baby Yoda was depicted in season 1.
-Greef claiming that Baby Yoda said "Yeah" or at least gave an affirmative squeal.
-Baby Yoda using the force for a selfish personal motive. Not as an instinctual reaction to extreme danger. He's showing he has some Control.
Hunter wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm
The Franchise wrote:
Also with no disrespect to The Franchise, "dog years" calculations aren't really correct anyway. The show can do whatever it wants.

What if, hes 50 standard years which is only 1 from his planet's solar system. And today was 900 of that same ststems...
Image Image Image

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Chapter 13 - The Jedi is my new favorite. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see such a fantastic live-action translation of Ahsoka Tano (who, along with Rex, is my favorite Star Wars character). Rosario Dawson killed it. Not only was the make-up, prosthetics, etc amazing, but Rosario seem to have all of the right mannerisms, movement, and vocals (even the way she interacted with Grogu reminded me of her interactions with children in TCW). She was Ahsoka. Filoni even stuck Morai in there. It was a fun TCW / Rebels-esque story and I have no doubt it is now a backdoor pilot for a live-action Rebels sequel series (especially given the Thrawn mention).

It was cool to get a bit of backstory for Grogu and look forward to that getting fleshed out a bit more. It's interesting we're going to Tython (the EU birthplace of the Jedi order) at some point. Now that we have Ahch-To in Canon my guess is it's just a place with an ancient Jedi Temple and not necessarily the first

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

I really enjoyed the episode, but my wife is losing faith in the series because it's becoming too formulaic: Mando arrives at a planet, helps a person and gets sent to another planet at the end of the episode. I kind of agree and wish Ahsoka would have a more permanent role in the season. That's not to say I don't think she'll be back later on but seemed like a waste to feature her this way.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Ahsoka was great but I don't think the episode was anything special.
mingtown wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 10:17 pm
it's becoming too formulaic: Mando arrives at a planet, helps a person and gets sent to another planet at the end of the episode.
If the episode existed in a vacuum it would be good but I can't overlook the fact that it was the same as many other episodes.
Greg Zinn

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Gergall wrote:Ahsoka was great but I don't think the episode was anything special.
mingtown wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 10:17 pm
it's becoming too formulaic: Mando arrives at a planet, helps a person and gets sent to another planet at the end of the episode.
If the episode existed in a vacuum it would be good but I can't overlook the fact that it was the same as many other episodes.
While i understand the complaint, I kinda dig this about the show. It lends itself to the gunslinger for hire western vibe quite well imo. Its almost like Shane or something.
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

All is forgiven if I get a live action Grand Admiral Thrawn! Especially if it is the ruthless Tie Fighter Computer Game one who simply crushes the rebellion by extending his arm and pointing from his comfy chair on his star destroyer!

-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

Return to “Off Topic”