Coronavirus

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Re: Coronavirus

Post by rsersen »

CA here. Still a lot of stuff we can do - besides groceries and pharmacies, “essential businesses” also include gas stations, banks, laundromats, hardware stores, electronic stores, auto repair/supply, etc. So any errands you need to run, can still be done.

Outdoor activity is also listed as essential, so can walk the dog, or even just go for a walk yourself, with no issues. Only stipulation is that you need to follow social distancing guidelines while out.

As for visiting other people’s houses, it’s not allowed, unless delivering essential supplies. Which makes it an easy loophole - throw some water, paper towels, etc in the car and if you’re stopped, say you’re bringing supplies. Note that I don’t recommend people do this, just stay the * home instead.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

rsersen wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm

As for visiting other people’s houses, it’s not allowed, unless delivering essential supplies. Which makes it an easy loophole - throw some water, paper towels, etc in the car and if you’re stopped, say you’re bringing supplies. Note that I don’t recommend people do this, just stay the * home instead.
Yep. I knew that'd be a loophole for sure.

Hopefully this will be the worst time in our collective lives.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

Ghana is closing its borders at midnight tonight. 21 cases so far and 1 death.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

shawnd1984 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm
rsersen wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm

Yep. I knew that'd be a loophole for sure.

Hopefully this will be the worst time in our collective lives.
I don't know about that. I've had some pretty bad times in my life. Hopefully things don't get that bad.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Governor DeWine just issued a "Stay at home" order until April 6th. I believe that my wife and I have jobs considered "essential services," so we still get to go to work every day. She works at a regional restaurant chain's call center and I work in credit card fraud prevention.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Olympics will be postponed to 2021

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/52002474

I'm sure some of you know more about this than me, aren't there some sports where 1 year makes a huge difference in who is viable to compete and win? Maybe women's gymnastics?
Greg Zinn

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

I evacuated my wife and kids over the weekend back to the U.S. They arrived safely and staying with family in TN. I'm still here for now. Our office had initially gone to split shifts with one team working in the embassy and the other team teleworking. Idea was to switch every week, but Uganda got their first case over the weekend and we've gone 100% teleworking. The next day, they discovered 8 more cases. Yesterday, the government arrested four grocery store owners for price hiking and had their licenses revoked. President said that won't be tolerated, "the bananas we have today are the same bananas we had yesterday". The first case that tested positive had just returned from UAE. The party line is he contracted it there, but he was only there for 5 days and was showing symptoms when he got off the plane, so I'm guessing he had it before he left.

If you have Twitter, this was a fun conspiracy clip: https://twitter.com/realjameswoods/stat ... 45223?s=12
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Lemonade from lemons... All of these * ceos who dug their heels about telecommuting while simultaneously praising in efficacy of the open office space... We never have to listen to them again.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

I have some relatives around town with coronavirus now. Aunt/uncle in one house, cousin/wife/kids in another.

Mother-in-law has it too. She lives way across the country.
Greg Zinn

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Gergall wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:46 am
I have some relatives around town with coronavirus now. Aunt/uncle in one house, cousin/wife/kids in another.

Mother-in-law has it too. She lives way across the country.
:( Sorry Gergall -- I hope everyone is going to be ok.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rsersen wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 9:14 am
Has this affected anyone?
Blows my mind that this was a legitimate question less than 72 hours ago. Crazy how fast things are escalating, and this is only the initial response.

Stay safe everyone. And thank god for GEMP.
Just two weeks later, and who HASN'T it affected?

A single person with no IRL friends who only orders food to be delivered, and is a shut-in, maybe?

We're at the point where schools are closed, almost everyone is working from home or laid off, and it is illegal to attend church, meet with friends, or even go visit my parents who live two miles away (except for caring for them if necessary).

If you said this is where we'd be a few months ago, I wouldn't have believed it.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

The travel bans look kind of silly now. Wouldn't want any Europeans to bring the virus into the USA!

Restricting airline flights in general makes enough sense, due to crowding people into tiny spaces. But blocking off specific "problem" countries seems useless.
Greg Zinn

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

I am affected, but only to a small degree (at the moment). Churches were cancelled in Ghana (for the next 3 weeks) but we can have house church, so we are doing that. We homeschool anyways so no change there. Restaurants, markets and grocery stores are all still open.

My sponsorship to be in Ghana is dependent on financial support from churches in the US. If the US economy is affected too much and churches are not allowed to open there doors (un-constitutional by the way) for a long time. This could really affect us.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

sjacree wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:50 am
I am affected, but only to a small degree (at the moment). Churches were cancelled in Ghana (for the next 3 weeks) but we can have house church, so we are doing that. We homeschool anyways so no change there. Restaurants, markets and grocery stores are all still open.

My sponsorship to be in Ghana is dependent on financial support from churches in the US. If the US economy is affected too much and churches are not allowed to open there doors (un-constitutional by the way) for a long time. This could really affect us.
I've been wondering about the constitutionality/legality of some of the actions health departments have taken. The first amendment guarantees a freedom of assembly, and I'm assuming there's something in the law that limits the ability to cancel in person voting.

I'm not even saying the actions taken thus far are not the right call. I'm just curious where the lines are when it comes to declaring a health emergency or other state of emergency. I mean, the director of the Ohio Health Department literally used the term "emergency powers" at one point, and we all know where that can lead.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

I love democracy........
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Austin is on a shelter in place order. I'm in the process of moving to north of Houston for a new job. Houston is also on a shelter in place order. Company is considered essential business. They do utilities for the government and are in the emergency response set up. Since I'm doing IT, I'm considered essential. So I'm able to work but I can't find a place to live. So thankfully staying with my Aunt right now but no idea for how long. I also didn't bring enough stuff this week to make it that long. So I have to drive back to Austin and hope they don't yell at me when I go back to get all my stuff and dog to bring back to Houston until this passes.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

I heard that the process of moving to a new home falls under the category of essential activity.
Greg Zinn

Kimura
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Kimura »

arebelspy wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:06 am
A single person with no IRL friends who only orders food to be delivered, and is a shut-in, maybe?
It's our time now!

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Gergall wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:10 pm
I heard that the process of moving to a new home falls under the category of essential activity.
Problem is most places aren't showing right now. I should be ok driving to get stuff but I may be hold up while trying to find a place unless I go without a walkthrough showing.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Yeah I just meant that you shouldn't get in trouble for moving activities. I didn't mean that it would be easy to find a place.
Greg Zinn

Return to “Off Topic”