Allies in Learning

SWCCG game play discussion.
marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Re: How to win at SWCCG

Post by marines28 »

Losing = Learning.

No player in this game is undefeated.

Appreciate your humility in publishing this and being open. You are a good man, sir.

Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

marines28 wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:14 am
Losing = Learning.

Appreciate your humility in publishing this and being open. You are a good man, sir.
Is it better to be a jack of all trades or a master of one thing? I've been playing SWCCG since it came out and I've become the very definition of a wild card. I have better lifetime records against Bastian, Reid Smith, Brian Herold, Tom Kelly, but then as an 11 seed, I get knocked out in round one of the current GEMPC. Even after all this time, I feel like I've yet to grasp some of the fundamental technics of the game. Lack of experience is my biggest weakness. Should I have forgone learning how to solve the Rubiks Cube and invested that time in SWCCG instead? I HATE losing as I rarely find any joy in the experience of a game that I lost, and it has even put a fear in me for even playing a game. I have no support team. I live in Africa and no one around me plays. I've got little post it notes with inspirational quotes on my computer monitor that says...
Winston Churchill wrote:Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Theodore Roosevelt wrote:It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timed souls who know neither victory or defeat.
I am accomplishment oriented, and the one thing that I want out of the hour and hours and even years and years that I do invest in SWCCG is a trophy, and not just any trophy, I want a worlds championship trophy or a volunteer award. I work towards both, but I have a life, and I really don't know if I will ever be able to give what is required to acquire my dream. I have little enthusiasm and big ambition and it terrifies me.

I'm short with those who just defeated me in a game, depriving them of some of the joy in their victory. For that, I am sorry.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Jedicon
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Jedicon »

sjacree wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:51 am
marines28 wrote:
Losing = Learning.

Is it better to be a jack of all trades or a master of one thing? I've been playing SWCCG since it came out and I've become the very definition of a wild card. I have better lifetime records against Bastian, Reid Smith, Brian Herold, Tom Kelly, but then as an 11 seed, I get knocked out in round one of the current GEMPC. Even after all this time, I feel like I've yet to grasp some of the fundamental technics of the game. Lack of experience is my biggest weakness. Should I have forgone learning how to solve the Rubiks Cube and invested that time in SWCCG instead? I HATE losing as I rarely find any joy in the experience of a game that I lost, and it has even put a fear in me for even playing a game. I have no support team. I live in Africa and no one around me plays. I've got little post it notes with inspirational quotes on my computer monitor that says...
Winston Churchill wrote:Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Theodore Roosevelt wrote:It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timed souls who know neither victory or defeat.
I am accomplishment oriented, and the one thing that I want out of the hour and hours and even years and years that I do invest in SWCCG is a trophy, and not just any trophy, I want a worlds championship trophy or a volunteer award. I work towards both, but I have a life, and I really don't know if I will ever be able to give what is required to acquire my dream. I have little enthusiasm and big ambition and it terrifies me.

I'm short with those who just defeated me in a game, depriving them of some of the joy in their victory. For that, I am sorry.
I feel your pain. I strongly suspect I am the only SWCCG player living in Ecuador (though I'd love to be wrong!)

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

sjacree wrote:I HATE losing as I rarely find any joy in the experience of a game that I lost, and it has even put a fear in me for even playing a game.
This is a big life problem, more than an SWCCG problem.

A lot of people have this fear of failure.

Carol Dweck's Mindset is one of three books I think everyone should read.

It would do you tremendous good. You are like the professional tennis players discussed in the book who are limited by their fixed mindset.

This TED Talk has a pretty good summary:

Start there, just ten minutes of your day.

SWCCG is a super minor thing. But becoming a growth mindset person can change your life in a positive way. In regards to your mission, how you deal with people, approach challenges, overcome obstacles, etc.

Good luck, Seth!

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

Thank you for the video.

I don't know what to think...yet. I've grown up with a fixed mindset.
arebelspy wrote:SWCCG is a super minor thing.
I don't know what to think of this statement. To me, SWCCG means a lot.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Oh, it's certainly an important part of my life. I enjoy it very much.

But in the larger picture, it's just a game. A very minor thing.

You can change your mindset. It could change your life. And I don't say that often/lightly.

It's worth reading Dweck's book if you are interested. It is all research/science based, which a lot of "mindset" stuff isn't.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Today's Nancy comic seems semi-related.

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

might just want to TRY to have fun with SWCCG.

sjacree wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:51 am
marines28 wrote:
Losing = Learning.

I only play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

That isn't possible for him right now. It literally isn't.

He is convinced that winning is fun, and losing is not fun.

Since even top tier players lose a lot*, he will never have fun.

*IDK what level I'm considered, never won worlds, but I do consistently finish pretty high, and my Gemp win rate is only 78%

Until that mindset changes, it isn't possible to just "have fun."

Gotta start with the root problem.

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

arebelspy wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 10:23 am
Gotta start with the root problem.
I've purchased the book and begun reading it. I definitely have traits of a fixed mindset but I also have at least some traits of a growth mindset. I've always believed that I can learn more than I already do and have endeavored to do so. I'm also not a quitter, so as frustrating as it is to not win, I would have a very difficult time giving SWCCG up (as it would prove that I was a failure and forfeit any hope of success in the future).

I feel like one of my biggest setbacks (at least as it relates to SWCCG specifically) is experience. It takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in a subject (and I have no idea how many hours I have spent on SWCCG since 1996), but SWCCG is always changing (the meta not the fundamental mechanics). So unless I put in enough time not to atrophy, I'm going backwards instead of forwards. I feel like I peaked in 2011 to 2013 when I was winning about 75% of my games. I went 5-3 at both Worlds that I attended, where one more win would have ment top 8.

Related to "the experience problem" is all of the other priotities that take me away from SWCCG (and rightfully so), but it is frustrating, none-the-less.
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

sjacree wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:16 am
I've purchased the book and begun reading it.
Awesome, glad to hear it!
I definitely have traits of a fixed mindset but I also have at least some traits of a growth mindset. I've always believed that I can learn more than I already do and have endeavored to do so. I'm also not a quitter, so as frustrating as it is to not win, I would have a very difficult time giving SWCCG up (as it would prove that I was a failure and forfeit any hope of success in the future).
Yeah, I think everyone has a mix of both.

I was mostly growth mindset, but found a fixed mindset in myself when it came to artistic pursuits. I would say things like "oh, I'm not very artistic." Now I say things like "I haven't developed my artistic skills" (I will often add the word "yet" as well). One statement is a fact about who I am as a person, and is fixed mindset. The other acknowledges that I'm not good at it, but I could be, if I practiced or made it important.
I feel like one of my biggest setbacks (at least as it relates to SWCCG specifically) is experience. It takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in a subject (and I have no idea how many hours I have spent on SWCCG since 1996), but SWCCG is always changing (the meta not the fundamental mechanics). So unless I put in enough time not to atrophy, I'm going backwards instead of forwards. I feel like I peaked in 2011 to 2013 when I was winning about 75% of my games. I went 5-3 at both Worlds that I attended, where one more win would have ment top 8.

Related to "the experience problem" is all of the other priotities that take me away from SWCCG (and rightfully so), but it is frustrating, none-the-less.
1) The 10000 hour rule has mostly been debunked. There isn't a fixed number of hours for every single thing in the world. The concept is legitimate, but it's not an actual number.

2) The key takeaway from the 10k hour rule is that the important part is deliberate practice. That is, not all practice is the same. If yo grind 10k hours of junk practice, you're worse off than someone with 5k hours of high quality practice.

That is, one game against a high level opponent is likely better than 5 games against scrubs you roll over and win even making tons of mistakes.

I don't really play open on gemp anymore. Waste of the little time I have to SWCCG. I'll set up a match against a good player (usually teammate for me, but could be anyone), or play in tournament games, like the OCS. Even something like the gempc, which didn't have a ton of high level players sign up, is at least better than open because people tend to bring their A game--more serious decks, more concentrated playing.

Since your time is limited, make sure you're getting in good quality practice. That may mean, yes, you lose OCS games. View those as the high quality practice for the future, not the current games you're dependent on winning.

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

Another game for the community to evaluate, please:

https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg ... 0913nous0k

One question I want answered is should have risked deploying Luke first turn? I instead chose to look for my activation since he was ahead on activation.
Image Image

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

A few of the things that made me a better player, is reading about game technique and methods to win the game, not the separate battles (I used to focus a lot on early & mid game, only to lose in the end game).

"Playing to win" by Sirlin is definitely recommended reading http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

I overheard a few top players on damage vs retrieval in a deck, and that a game basically boils down to math. 4 damage and 1-2 retrieval per turn/cycle is what you should be aiming for - if you do more damage than your opponent, you'll win. There is a good Magic The Gathering article on this, "Who is the beatdown" (basically, if you're ahead in the game / do more damage than your opponent, don't spread out or battle, but instead consolidate / reinforce board position /build your hand) https://articles.starcitygames.com/prem ... -beatdown/

Another thing is getting quality feedback, and that is exactly what you're getting here. Keep up the good work & your spirits!
Gosse Z. - Seattle (formerly Netherlands)

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg ... 1iuyus4cqy

Another game for review. I'm not sure what I could have done differently. Missed my important destiny and was limited by Monnok to better build my hand.
Image Image

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

gossuii wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 12:03 am
A few of the things that made me a better player, is reading about game technique and methods to win the game, not the separate battles (I used to focus a lot on early & mid game, only to lose in the end game).

"Playing to win" by Sirlin is definitely recommended reading http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

I overheard a few top players on damage vs retrieval in a deck, and that a game basically boils down to math. 4 damage and 1-2 retrieval per turn/cycle is what you should be aiming for - if you do more damage than your opponent, you'll win. There is a good Magic The Gathering article on this, "Who is the beatdown" (basically, if you're ahead in the game / do more damage than your opponent, don't spread out or battle, but instead consolidate / reinforce board position /build your hand) https://articles.starcitygames.com/prem ... -beatdown/

Another thing is getting quality feedback, and that is exactly what you're getting here. Keep up the good work & your spirits!
I disagree that you should be aiming for a particular amount of damage and retrieval. At a minimum, you want to be doing more net damage (i.e., your damage minus their retrieval) to your opponent than your opponent is doing to you. The higher the number the better.

The Who is the Beatdown article is very good. Arebelspy pointed the article out in another how to get better thread at some point. I didn't realize it, but determining who is the beatdown was something I was doing all the time in games.

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

Wokling wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm
The Who is the Beatdown article is very good. Arebelspy pointed the article out in another how to get better thread at some point. I didn't realize it, but determining who is the beatdown was something I was doing all the time in games.
I read it. I imagine that Who is the Beatdown can actually change during the course of the game.
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

sjacree wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:19 am
https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg ... 1iuyus4cqy

Another game for review. I'm not sure what I could have done differently. Missed my important destiny and was limited by Monnok to better build my hand.
notes as i watch.

1) I see a huge mistake on literally turn 1 (turn 0) of the game. you pull db/jcc. i count 2 lukes in RD. that means (i'm making a not huge assumption here) one is in force.

you apparently didn't count lukes though, as you draw all but one card, and have no luke in hand yet, leaving a single card (luke) in force. =/

turn 1 i'm counting activation, characters, and anything crucial for the particular match (a ship, or

generally saving 1 as trm is good for a dark time, but likely if he has it opening hand, he plays it before you grabber/activate. so saving one only helps you here if he draws into one turn 1. worth the risk to get luke for sure.

later you rey used pull Luke, when you could have pulled a much better card v maul: concentration. or any of the other many good cards in used pile (solo, to add a bd w/ rey and let you play that satm in hand a second time, screaming lando, even asokha or epp obi or BNC). that's a big difference/setback.

2) with potential monnok to hand limit cause crush, play escape pod used, draw 1 more. houjix already in hand. always look for used interrupts to cycle when hand capped.

3) You have a recoil. could always use it.

4) little things, like rey on table, but you go to draw phase and draw. use her draw from bottom of force in deploy. from earlier, we know it's a luke, but what if it was something like bnc? evac? something useful right away. use her in deploy if you have nothing left for the turn but to draw.

5) turn 3 you get a verify and see a dark time! ...and then grab force field. idk if this will come up much later (typing live) but..disagree. :)

6) don't like the corran deploy turn 4. he's probably not attacking into anakin/rey until maul moves over. that's 4 more force to draw for good stuff, instead of a power 2 dude. if anything, padme is more power, more forfeit, makes it harder to attack into with other stuff, and even if maul moves over and cancels the text, she's better stats wise. plus then you save corran if he's needed for u3po, or to be a spy to attack non bg. but i wouldn't deploy her either. but if you did, shes better.

7) a preemptive pull on evac from the cc battle may have been useful to get skywalkers (if you can pair your last luke and a leia)--can't use it the turn you pull it, and could make him more wary, so overdeploy (or dig for a general and command). it's pretty over by this point though.

I finished it out, it was just mop up.

You got really bad destinies a lot. miss on maul with the satm. luke/padme only taking out jango, not jango and grievous. that is outside your circle of control.

And also, his dark mains SHOULD beat trm. He starts crush. he plays lone maul. this is a ds deck built to beat your deck, played by the best player in the world.

Like you started this thread with court losing to ls mains. that's expected. this was a ds mains designed to beat trm, and trm lost. that's expected.

There's always stuff to learn, like the stuff I posted above (the t1 not drawing your luke being the big one), but losses will happen.

Hope this helped!

EDIT: just saw an ocs game live you played w/ trm v tto where you used rey pull to get jarjar to kill moff, via me doing that yesterday. obviously when stuff falls in your lap, it's great, but sometimes it doesn't and you have to do things like that, and learning to prioritize certain things in certain matches is big. checking you have jarjar active, using enough force to rey pull it, etc... that's a good play. :)
Last edited by arebelspy on April 3rd, 2020, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

sjacree wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm
Wokling wrote:
I read it. I imagine that Who is the Beatdown can actually change during the course of the game.
That's right. Who is the beatdown is also determined but who has more cards left. If both players are doing 2 a turn, but Player A has 10 cards on table and 5 in hand and Player B has 10 cards on table and 10 in hand, Player A is the beatdown. Battle Plan/Order can also affect who is the beatdown.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

sjacree wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm
Wokling wrote:
It can change, and I suspect that you already think about this when you play. Basically, especially in the mid-game, I am constantly asking myself these questions:

Accounting for direct damage and retrieval, who would win if the game turned into a drain war right now?
How likely is it that my opponent could overwhelm me at any locations that I control?
What are the best and worst possible outcomes if I go after my opponent?
What are the best and worst possible outcomes if I make my opponent come to me?
How likely are those outcomes?

Then, once I have the answers to those and other related questions, I determine what I should do and then do the opposite.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Corran wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 1:17 pm
Then, once I have the answers to those and other related questions, I determine what I should do and then do the opposite.
:lol:

"Bad in-game decision breakdowns"

Return to “General Discussion”