So what did I miss?

SWCCG game play discussion.
Darren Pilbeam

So what did I miss?

Post by Darren Pilbeam »

With nothing else to do with my time (apart from home-schooling, housework and playing the many other games I've picked up in the last few years) I finally decided to log in here for the first time since 2016. I see the homepage has a got a very nice late-90s vibe going on with it. Do people still play this game (all I see on Facebook lately is people posting photos of their collection circa 1997 and asking for someone to buy it, and other people complaining about the value of LSJK)? What decks are good? What decks aren't good anymore? Who won the last 4 World Championships? Are my player cards still in development hell (I think I know the answer to that one already)? When's the next reset/reboot/refresh due? Do people still use Holotable? Is Trooper Davin Felth finally available on Gemp?

Three time UK Champion - 2009, 2010, and 2013

Online League Chairman (emeritus) / UK Flight Leader

Recipient of the Lifetime Acheivement Award (sic) for service to the SWCCG Online Community

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Re: So what did I miss?

Post by stephengascrub »

Bastian came back and is still very good. He is the first 3-time world champion.

2019- Bastian
2018- Bastian
2017- Phil Aasen
2016- Tom Haid

During that time MAP and OA became borderline broken, and ROPS became really good. All three were errata’d. Map is tier 2 and OA and ROPS are fringe decent, OA moreso in my opinion.

A new card Slip Sliding Away (v) was made that lets you start any non-palace site bg if your only starting site has 2 icons. This has let BHBM, ISB, and Hoth 5th Marker, and Dagobah Cave decks to become things.

LMFBM was errata’d to basically only work in Hitco. TRM now uses Luke, Rebel Scout.

AOBS was also super good and the Shadows effect got toned down. It’s still very good, but more reasonable. It’s probably my favorite deck in the meta right now because it really rewards good players.

No Idea and Legend have risen to be really good decks.

HD, Court, EBO, Profit, Diplo, and Watto are all viable. There’s also a new ASM.

Senate (DS) is tier 1.5, as is QMC. Senate (LS) is just not there.

GEMP. It has exploded and has over 95% of the cards in the format working flawlessly. It’s probably higher than that, but I rather be conservative. It’s been a great boon to the game and runs way smoother than holotable and is free.

You can regularly play closed causal games, kick spectators, or have as much free control to ‘violate rules,’ etc. if that mattered for niche playtesting stuff. GEMP doesn’t have the legacy v-cards, Holotable does.

OCS tournament via GEMP. About 60-80 players seriously play 12 games each month, for 7 months (?), for some sweet virtual slip foils and a chance to make the end of the year playoffs. The top 2 players each month, plus 2 best overall players to not qualify form a 16 player playoff at the end. It costs $10 a month or $50 for a year pass.

Think Davin Felth is on GEMP. IE and TDIGWATT troopers are the best platforms for him.

There’s also this interesting low stakes format called the Jawa Cup, and a high stakes called the Outrider Cup.

Other people can chime in or clarify what I’ve said. Hope you can check out GEMP and play occasionally online.

May the force be with you Darren!
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Decipher ELO Ratings:
Highest: 1696
Final: 1656

OCS Records:
2020: 10-38
2019: 6-18

Scrabble: 1738 (354-207)

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Welcome back Darren! Hopefully, you'll hang around.

As stephen said, GEMP has exploded. We ran the MPC on there rather than in person. Those old online tournaments you used to run would be a lot easier now on GEMP with the leagues. We have the OCS which is a monthly qualifying tournament to get into the big event at the end of the year. Its really easy to find games, build decks, and just play SWCCG on there. I know Bastian started on there not thinking of going to any events. Now he is traveling the world again reminding us all why we aren't on his level.

On the main site, you can see decks for the MPC and Endor (along with the other years you missed). After Endor, before MPC we had a tweak set released that affected the meta a bit. So you'll see some different decks + MPC is usually different as well.

Menzel was the first Euro advocate. Then the poor guy got buried in it and took a step back. I mean his hair is somehow this weird shade of gray grey now rather than just grey. But he did a tremendous job, as I'm sure all European players would have guessed.

We also have a slack channel set up. I think the instructions are in the off topic forum. You can sign up and jump on and chat. Someone may have to make the account for you. I had set up a way to do this automatically and have people approve it but no idea if that is still working.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Jerry H

Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Good to see you Darren!

Silverglen
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: silverglen

Post by Silverglen »

Don’t be fooled by Darren’s innocent eloquence. He’s been playing tournaments in the UK throughout; and successfully too ;)
Welsh National Winner 2019, 5th Euro 2018, OCS Finalist
Shadow 13 wrote:seeing Silverglen's underdog run has been pretty inspiring

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Now is a great time to dive back in!

viewtopic.php?f=494&t=75216
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Darren Pilbeam

Post by Darren Pilbeam »

Silverglen wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm
Don’t be fooled by Darren’s innocent eloquence. He’s been playing tournaments in the UK throughout; and successfully too ;)
I’m not sure twice a year really counts :) And I was all set to skip the UK Regional this year (for the first time since I started running them back in 2008) to play Destiny instead before 2020 got cancelled.
Three time UK Champion - 2009, 2010, and 2013

Online League Chairman (emeritus) / UK Flight Leader

Recipient of the Lifetime Acheivement Award (sic) for service to the SWCCG Online Community

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

As everyone else has said Gemp is the place to be right now.

No one else mentioned just how ubiquitous streaming of SWCCG has been, though this goes hand in hand with Gemp.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Welcome back, Darren! I went to Worlds in Bochum last fall, and you and Krypto were the two Euros I really missed getting the chance to finally meet.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”