New video or blog possibility on card pricing

Learn about rarity, unusual swccg items, and more!
The Franchise

New video or blog possibility on card pricing

Post by The Franchise »

Folks, its been on my mind for a bit and i wanted to see how much interest would be out there for something like the following:

A weekly (or more likely monthly) blog and or video series that discusses the financial aspects of swccg collecting. Not necessarily looking to be a rudy of alpha investments from magic type of guy, but it seems that there is a lot of disparate info out there and prices and demand fluctuates.

My main goals would be:

- help sellers and buyers have a better sense of the items in a transaction. Main thought here would be people selling a collection- they either think their collection is worth millions or pennies. Both sides should get a fair deal, so providing accurate pricing and tips for estimating value and how best to sell a collection may benefit players and collectors alike

- price trends on popular singles and sealed product.

- discussion of rare items that surface from time to time

- discussion of collecting vs playing, card conditions, how v cards can impact prices

- anything else of interest to folks

I am envisioning this as something that isnt “my project” but a much more collaborative effort which can prvide useful data for players, collectors, and the pc. People can ask questions and from month to month we can provide updates on particular issues.

Would this interest anyone, either as a viewer or as a participant? I think trying an episode or two may be worth exploring even if it doesnt take off

V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

mickelmas
Starter
Starter

Re: New video or blog possibility on card pricing

Post by mickelmas »

DEW IT.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

The Franchise wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm
which can prvide useful data for players, collectors, and the pc
It would just become out of date very quickly, within a matter of months likely.

Look at BFBH prices or LSJK/Emp. I was still picturing the latter two as $80-120, from two summers ago. Apparently they're more like $150-200 based on some recent slack chat?

So, I mean, useful if you kept it up indefinitely, or for whatever period you do it, then almost immediately obsolete.

Not saying don't do it, if it's a passion project, sure. Some stuff might stay relevant (the more rare cards will remain rare, etc.). But a lot of it will be useless quickly, and wanted to point that out. If you're cool with it, go nuts, I don't think anyone will say no, don't do a free thing you think sounds fun.

ZapR
Starter
Starter

Post by ZapR »

As someone trying to complete a collection I'd be highly interested. I could even share some pricing trends I've been recording since 2017, though I'm sure others here have more in-depth history.

Holla_Ackbar
Starter
Starter

Post by Holla_Ackbar »

I'd definitely be interested in something like this, but you may run out of content pretty quick. The thing about swccg is that there are probably only about 50 cards worth talking about regarding price. And there are only about 10 cards that are currently worth $75+.

My experience is that most people selling collections don't really have any of the chase cards. So whether they get $25 or $50 for the lot, it's not really a game changer. The people that have good cards usually know what they have and price accordingly.

ConnorPsh
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

I was thinking about something like this too! I'd be very happy to help out if you need it, I basically live in the eBay new listings and sold items.

I think this could be very helpful for collectors, provided as you said, you don't go the Rudy way and cause panic and buyouts. Alpha investments is still one of my favorite channels, but something like that could be harmful to the community. Sounds like you've already realized that though which is good.
:epic: Returning Collector, Gameplay Illiterate :epic:

muttzen
Starter
Starter

Post by muttzen »

This could be good, it may be slow right now and the target audience may be small. If you expect card values to continue to increase, you could become the "goto" show, which would be a great opportunity. A blog feels like it has less momentum to get it going, and ease of access of information to the viewer is better with a blog than with a video. Could always transition to a video later. just my 2c.
can I has urf?

mark m.

Return to “SWCCG Collecting Forum”