Why do we need physical cards?

SWCCG game play discussion.
treadwell
Starter
Starter

Why do we need physical cards?

Post by treadwell »

Back in my glory days, I played this game a lot and got pretty good. Going to the weekly tournaments and occasionally traveling to bigger events were some of my favorite memories. I made a ton of friends and—not to sound overdramatic—learned a lot about life. I grew up to become a lawyer (lol) and I always cite SWCCG as one of the primary factors that contributed to my success.

When decipher lost the license to SWCCG, I figured the game was dead. It had a good run, but all things must come to an end.

Many years later, I got the urge to play again and was elated to discover that the game lived on. A group of dedicated advocates formed the Player’s Committee (“PC”) and kept the game alive. Here is a really cool article about how the game transferred from Decipher to the PC, including Decipher’s involvement in and blessing of that transition: [https://www.theringer.com/2018/5/21/173 ... -community].

As you know, the PC has kept the game dynamic and balanced by continuously releasing virtual cards that modify old cards, as well as, creating entirely new cards. The Player’s Committee also has an awesome resource which provides high quality images of every original (non-virtual) card ever made. This was perfect for me, because like many returning players, I divested myself of my entire collection in the intervening 15 years.
I found an upcoming tournament and was ready, willing, and able to fly down there and throw my hat in the ring. I didn’t have a single card to my name at this point, so I emailed the PC and asked if I could simply print out the cards I needed, put them on top of a random card, and then put them in an opaque sleeve.

“No. You have to have the actual cards if you want to play.”

I was confused and a little disappointed when I got this reply. A lack of physical cards is one of the primary barriers to New and Returning Players (“NARPS”) meaningfully integrating into the community. I thought a game like SWCCG, which is no longer in public circulation and is not advertised, would welcome some “fresh blood.” So, naturally, I thought the focus would be on giving access to the game to as many people as possible.

So here is my question: Why do we still need to have the physical cards to play competitively? Why can’t we just print and use original cards the way we do virtual cards?

I have tried to answer this question for myself, but none of the explanations I can come up with are satisfactory. I’ve listed some below to get the discussion going.

1. Having printed cards on top of real cards will effect game play/ allow people to cheat/ you’d be able to tell which cards were printed—Full virtual cards, such as Rey, Keylo, etc., etc., are allowed in competitive play. They are cut out pieces of paper, put on top of a random card, and put in an opaque sleeve. An original card printed out would have the exact same look and feel.

2.Unlimited access to every card will cause chaos/imbalances—Maybe there is a fear that if everyone has unlimited to access to every card, we will see decks with like 45 Luke Skywalker Jedi Knights (“LSJK”). We need look no further than GEMP to dispel these fears. GEMP provides all players unlimited access and there is a lot of variety of decks. I’ve never lost a game on GEMP and blamed it on the fact my opponent had too many of a certain card. On the other hand, it would be frustrating to lose—not because I got outplayed or outmatched—but because I didn’t have the right rectangle of cardboard sitting around my house. I’d like to believe my opponent would not want to win that way either.

3. Perhaps the top players don’t want NARPS giving them additional competition—By restricting play to physical cards, many quality returning players may be prevented from competing, rising through the ranks, and dethroning the established hierarchy. As I understand it, the Match Play Championships (“MPC”) is usually done in person, but had to be online via GEMP due to Covid-19. I didn’t follow it that closely, but weren’t there a lot of upsets in the GeMPC? Could this be evidence of the destabilizing effect unlimited card access could have? No. To be clear, I think this entire line of reasoning is preposterous. It will take even the best returning players years to get back up to speed and threaten anyone even remotely established in the game. But more fundamentally, nobody plays this game to get rich and famous (imagine SWCCG groupies though!). We play this game because we love it. I truly believe that the top SWCCG brass would relish the arrival of a new serious challenger on the scene. So this is not the answer. I listed it only to show how much I’ve thought about this problem (and because I love a good conspiracy theory).

4. There are some legal/intellectual property issues that prevent us from printing and using cards from the original sets—I almost want this to be the answer. Why? Because it’s completely reasonable and can’t be argued with. It would allow me to say, “Ok, say no more. That makes perfect sense.” And then I would no longer be haunted by this mystery. However, my understanding from the article I posted above, and from other posts on the forum, is that the PC now owns the intellectual property and has the right to allow printing of original cards.

5. You can still buy physical cards—This is technically true, but is extremely cost prohibitive. The PC publishes a list of cards NARPS should seek to obtain. The list doesn’t include every card you will ever need, but provides a solid backbone. To buy all of those cards, if you can even find them, costs over $1,000.00. It is not difficult to imagine a NARP deciding not to get back into the game with such a high initial barrier to access. Also, as I have seen posted recently, the pool of original cards will be forever shrinking. Like animals at a vanishing watering hole, we just stand by and watch the game slowly evaporate.

6. Physical cards fund/support the PC—This is the most compelling reason I can think of. The dedicated members of the PC keep the game we love alive. That * aint free. In fact, I’m sure they spend their own money to keep things afloat. The card store is one of the ways the PC raises funds for all the wonderful services they provide. And I have no problem with that. However, I think the PC could make even more money if they made the access to print original cards a subscription service where a player pays a flat or monthly fee for access to the cards. I, for one, would have no problem paying $500 for access to the card database so I could play with ya’ll in person. Perhaps this has already been contemplated but the logistics are too difficult? If that’s the case, we should consider revisiting the idea now that we have a huge influx of NARPS due to Covid-19.

So what do you guys think? Can someone shed some light on this for me. Is it possible to ever change the policy of printing original cards?

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Re: Why do we need physical cards?

Post by mingtown »

It's 4. The PC had an agreement with Lucasfilm to keep the game operating with physical cards that also constrains how virtual cards can be designed and implemented. We don't want Disney to shut us down.
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

While 4 is the case, please don't let a lack of cards be the reason you don't play in events. For major events especially, there are plenty of people who will be willing to loan you entire decks.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

treadwell
Starter
Starter

Post by treadwell »

Thanks for your replies.

Someone off thread pointed out how complex the agreement probably is. Considering all it would take is them saying "stop" for everything to be ruined, I totally understand the desire to be safe with the intellectual property.

And I definitely plan on going to some in-person events once things get back to normal.

Thanks guys.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

treadwell wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:01 pm
Thanks for your replies.

Someone off thread pointed out how complex the agreement probably is. Considering all it would take is them saying "stop" for everything to be ruined, I totally understand the desire to be safe with the intellectual property.

And I definitely plan on going to some in-person events once things get back to normal.

Thanks guys.
where in the world are you located? theres still active player groups all around the world, there could be some right near you!
Jerry H

Image Image

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

I am glad disney expanded the agreement. Actual general grevious is so much better than “cyborg commander”
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Inb4 lock
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

The Franchise wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:30 pm
Actual general grevious is so much better than “cyborg commander”
Agree with this.

I am glad disney expanded the agreement.
:lol: Good one
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Platypus

Post by Platypus »

fungineer wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:58 pm
The Franchise wrote:
Actual general grevious is so much better than “cyborg commander”
Agree with this.

I am glad disney expanded the agreement.
:lol: Good one
Would have gone with “altered the deal”. :epic:
Always: Image

BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

Therion
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Therion »

The Franchise wrote:
I am glad disney expanded the agreement. Actual general grevious is so much better than “cyborg commander”
At risk of jinxing it, does Disney even realize that we exist?

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Therion wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm
The Franchise wrote:
Lucasfilm knew about us, but i think Disney is relatively in the dark about us, but thats just a pure guess on my part
Jerry H

Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

quesosauce37 wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Therion wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm
The Franchise wrote:
Lucasfilm knew about us, but i think Disney is relatively in the dark about us, but thats just a pure guess on my part
I thought the PC met with Disney 100 years ago.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Disney has always been PC... :lol:
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

I vaguely remember a similar thread where someone said that the PC had met/talked with Disney shortly after they acquired the IP, explained the situation with Decipher/LFL, and Disney basically didn’t care.

Could be misremembering and/or making all this up in my head though.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

From what I understand, as long as the PC isn't making any money from the sell of virtual cards and keeping with the arranged agreement they don't really care.
Dan "Tortellini" Tartaglione
Image Image

MPC Consolation Runner Up 2016 Endor GP Consolation Second Place 2016 SoCal League Runner Up 2017

Return to “General Discussion”