Preparing to Teach New Players - Suggestions Welcome

SWCCG game play discussion.
dtwiley
Starter
Starter

Preparing to Teach New Players - Suggestions Welcome

Post by dtwiley »

I'm relatively new to the game myself, having not even enough cards total to fill up an Anthology box, but I grew up with cards to this game and nostalgia made me reacquire cards this year and, well, after some initial plays against myself I'm hooked. According to the map, I'm the only listed person in central Iowa so I am in a desert for physical opponents. Which is why I am going to attempt the process of teaching local gamers around here, and my first victim is hopefully meeting up with me this weekend. I have two 30-card decks (Space and Cloud City) from the Player Committee store, and my intent is to let him choose the side to play and, when we're done, to keep the deck (and maybe give him both the LS and the DS, since he has some kids around 8-12 that he could eventually teach this to...)

When my FLGS opens their game room again in July, my intent is to try and get a monthly night where I'll bring in a handful of decks and teach anyone who wants to learn and, eventually, hopefully, build a few regulars to develop a more regular play rotation against and develop a small community here.

So if anyone has any advice, whether it is one decks to construct, things to remember to mention when teaching, or affordable cards to try and seek out to give out to new players (or to gather in bulk to make some decks for teaching/playing with newer players), I am all ears here.

In the meantime, I'm immersing myself in as many videos and articles as I can find to get myself up to speed on playing so I can feel confident in teaching the game.

May the force be with all of you.
David

DS-61-4
Starter
Starter

Re: Preparing to Teach New Players - Suggestions Welcome

Post by DS-61-4 »

Following.

You are cool. Please keep us posted on how this goes.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

I tried teaching an experienced gamer a couple of months ago and realized a few things.

One, the simpler the better. Some cards, like those with permanent weapons, and objectives, are confusing and overwhelming. I don't know the decks you're referring to, but honestly, just using premiere cards is a good way to start off. Two, attrition is really, really hard to explain. Try walking through a couple of battles to hammer home attrition and how it is different from battle damage (but may be satisfied at the same time by forfeiting cards from the battle). Three, be patient! And four, have fun :)

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

I admit I have not tried this method yet, but it looked very appealing and think it would be worth exploring at the least.

viewtopic.php?f=332&t=69241
Justin Miyashiro

Jedicon
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Jedicon »

dtwiley wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 pm

In the meantime, I'm immersing myself in as many videos and articles as I can find to get myself up to speed on playing so I can feel confident in teaching the game.

May the force be with all of you.
David
This is a great idea. Especially if you are wanting to teach the open format (including v-cards), I recommend watching Gogolens weekly Twitch show. Observing a game has benefits, but having his expert analysis will help you pick up on things you may have otherwise missed.

Zlorfik also has a series of videos he made to help guide players with gameplay and deckbuilding. They are also viewable on the SWCCG twitch stream.

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Hazardville wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:54 pm
I admit I have not tried this method yet, but it looked very appealing and think it would be worth exploring at the least.

viewtopic.php?f=332&t=69241
I second this, really helpful to explain especially with the walk through. Plus games last a bit shorter so more reps for newer players.

And regarding attrition, I usually don't introduce that until after 5-10 games. It is really a big roadblock for new players if you factor in attrition from the get go
Gosse Z. - Seattle (formerly Netherlands)

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

I suggest starting here, with an interview (first post) with SWCCG Hall of Famer Mark Walseth, which talks about how to go about building a teaching program and his method for teaching people the game (second post).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75460
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I've taught a large handful how to play the game with demo decks. I've also taught attrition from the get go. Most of those I've taught have at least played MTG, so I was able to rephrase things in a way they would understand. The few that didn't, I found out a common game we played and tried to rephrase things in a manner they would understand.

No one is going to pick up this game and know everything. Hell, some of us who have been playing for 20+ years, don't know everything. We're still trying to figure it out as we go. Its a very complex game.

My best pointers would be:

1. Find a common game and use that to give examples and use phrasing that they may understand better.

2. Take your time. It isn't as easy to pick up as MTG. SWCCG basic decks that would be on par with MTG don't showcase the game as well. I found when starting with something that basic, they weren't as excited about the game. It didn't have that cool factor. I think objectives are part of that cool factor.

3. Have visual aids. Have something printed up that shows turn order and when you do certain things. Something like this but expanded:
  • A. Activate
    B: Control Phase
    C: Deploy phase
    D: Battle Phase
    D1: Weapons Segment
    D2: Destiny
    D3: etc I forget all the segments of Battle
    E: Move
    F: Draw
    G: End of Turn
You can also define on there what you can do in those phases. Like activate phase is where active player will activate force. Visually spell out the battle aspects and I've found that really helps explain attrition. Have cards printed out with arrows pointing to what information is where. Like point out the deploy cost, the forfeit cost, etc.

4. Have cards printed out to share PC site, forums and GEMP.

5. Get emails for email list

6. Be consistent with your scheduling and dates.

7. Be patient. It takes a lot of time to get this going.

DS-61-4
Starter
Starter

Post by DS-61-4 »

I would definitely suggest printing and laminating these playmats for anyone you are teaching:

https://res.starwarsccg.org/wp/wp-conte ... k-Side.pdf

https://res.starwarsccg.org/wp/wp-conte ... t-Side.pdf

dtwiley
Starter
Starter

Post by dtwiley »

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I wrote a little something about the game I played on Friday. It was my first attempt to teach a new player and, overall, I think it went quite well. Also, bear in mind that I am both a new player myself and a new collector.

https://starwarsccg.wordpress.com/2020/ ... loud-city/

Return to “General Discussion”