What happens to SWCCG in a COVID world without Gemp?

SWCCG game play discussion.
Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Was thinking about this while raking leaves today...

What happens to Star Wars CCG "The Game" without Gemp to keep people playing through lockdowns/quarantines? Does the whole game go on hiatus?

Disclaimer: Let's not de-rail this thread on the topic that Gemp is not the same as real-life SWCCG or the imperfections of Gemp.

I just wonder with video games, TV/movie streaming options and other games with much smaller learning curves, what would've happened to SWCCG...
In a Gemp-less world, I imagine the PC immediately realizes Holotable needs to be more user-friendly and have more features, since the game has such a tough learning curve, and dedicates resources accordingly.
Given the cloudiness of when real-life events would happen again, I can see a gap between Set 12 and Set 13 even larger than it was in actuality.
I'd worry that if players started to do other hobbies, it would have had a compounding effect where players wouldn't be able to easily find others to keep playing against online, and also instead ventured elsewhere.

What do others would would have happened?

(Fortunately, in actuality, I feel like people being locked down and the accessibility to Gemp has actually grown the game in a lot of ways. Might be a separate thread.)

P.S. We can't thank Troy enough for creating this thing. Thanks, again, Tbiesty!

Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Re: What happens to SWCCG in a COVID world without Gemp?

Post by aermet69 »

We'd survive. This game has managed to survive a bunch of 'sky-is-falling' moments. It would most likely be different, but not because of covid, but because of gemp.

Without gemp I would have cut out several copies of set 13 already! :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

I'm not sure I have the best perspective on this for a simple reason:

If GEMP didn't exist, I wouldn't be in the community at all.

Without GEMP, I doubt that I would have bothered going to a live local, certainly not a major. Maybe I'd be playing with my brother at home but certainly would not be involved the way I am now.

GEMP is without a doubt the best thing to happen to the community, possible except for the PC itself.
Justin Miyashiro

cedron

Post by cedron »

This game is more than 20 years old.

I think as long as people want to keep playing it, and people want to keep making cards, it's going to survive just fine.

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

we've had gemp for years now, obviously holotable would have been more of a thing if gemp was never created, or similar things to holotable, but yes GEMP has been amazing and we are so much better off for having it
Jerry H

Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Decades from now Gemp will be real SWCCG, and in person paper will be bootleg. Doesn't even enforce the rules? Card text out of date? Pshhh.

;)

But we'll still get together cause those weekends are the best.

Therion
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Therion »

arebelspy wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 8:47 pm
Decades from now Gemp will be real SWCCG, and in person paper will be bootleg. Doesn't even enforce the rules? Card text out of date? Pshhh.

;)

But we'll still get together cause those weekends are the best.
I have to say, speaking as a not-a-good-player kind of player, switching over to a rules-enforced platform has made me so much better at the game, freeing my brain up from watching for triggers and remembering interactions to actually think about what I'm doing (arguably also a worse player - I might just plain forget all of these things if/when I get back to playing physical cards).

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Holotable would get updated

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

I dunno. When I came back to swccg holotable was still a thing - and it didnt really make the digital experience worth it.
GEMP has saved the day.

Troy deserves to be in the hall of fame, if not there already. His work has kick started a revolution for the game.

chrknudsen2
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen2 »

alphabeta wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:31 am
Troy deserves to be in the hall of fame, if not there already. His work has kick started a revolution for the game.
x2

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

alphabeta wrote:
He was given a special recognition award at MN Worlds a couple of years ago. Though I think that is not the same as HoF.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

Holotable.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

alphabeta wrote:
I dunno. When I came back to swccg holotable was still a thing - and it didnt really make the digital experience worth it.
GEMP has saved the day.

I mean I agree. Gemp is definitely easier to return to than holotable ever was. But in a world without gemp it'd be the best we had

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

sjacree wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pm
Holotable.
The comic below is something like how I envision Life without Gemp would go from a NARP perspective.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 237 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Person A sees a stray SWCCG card somewhere...

Person A- “Cool, Star Wars CCG, I remember that.”
Person B- “I heard you can play it online, with Holotable.”
Person A- “Sweet. How do we play, again? Also, how do we use this thing?”
Person B- “Uh, I don’t know. At all. Seems difficult. Let’s do something else.”
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:03 pm
sjacree wrote:
Holotable.
The comic below is something like how I envision Life without Gemp would go from a NARP perspective.
Nah. The post you quoted from sjacree is pretty clearly the correct answer to your thread.

I'll never be confused for a HT fan (and being put in the role of a HT defender certainly feels odd), but learning to play on HT is NOT "difficult" and if there had never been any such thing as GEMP, then would the upcoming Online World Championship have been held on HT (or some other similar program) instead? Yeah, of course. Because that's what GEMP is: some other similar program.

The most substantial difference between playing on HT vs. GEMP is that when I played on HT, I had to be ready for the possibility that my opponent might use ANY card in SWCCG against me, and not just the ones that happened to be coded so far.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Hunter wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
Jnapolit31 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:03 pm
sjacree wrote:
Holotable.
Nah. The post you quoted from sjacree is pretty clearly the correct answer to your thread.

I'll never be confused for a HT fan (and being put in the role of a HT defender certainly feels odd), but learning to play on HT is NOT "difficult" and if there had never been any such thing as GEMP, then would the upcoming Online World Championship have been held on HT (or some other similar program) instead? Yeah, of course. Because that's what GEMP is: some other similar program.

The most substantial difference between playing on HT vs. GEMP is that when I played on HT, I had to be ready for the possibility that my opponent might use ANY card in SWCCG against me, and not just the ones that happened to be coded so far.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

I did play a dozen or so games in Holotable and it was nice to play. I would mess up a lot and there were maybe one or two times per game where I would forget what a card does for the opponent. With some of the images, we didn't have all the decipher cards with updated errata so if there was a chance, it sometimes wasn't there.

I think every single person (including you) would agree that rules based card enforcement in gemp makes it easier to play. Are there limitations? Absolutely. We know all the cards are not in there, but if you look at the below list, not a lot of them are played in casual or competitive games thankfully. I think the playing community would agree that having over 200,000 games played on gemp shows it is a much better experience for the players. Is it fair to say that 20,000 games were played on holotable over the years? Is that a good assumption? Having 10x that in a matter of a few years quantifies that.

I will say though, one of the most difficult cards to code, Bane Malar, was just put into the game. Another, Weequay Marksman, about a month ago. But the sealed deck community is clammoring for more of these cards. I would hope that volunteers continue to code the cards that they need.

The good news is the meta can adjust to not having Frustration coded for now. People just move on and play a few games a week and just enjoy things.
Premiere: (7 remaining)
(Light)
Targeting Computer
Combined Attack
Escape Pod
(Dark)
MSE-6 'Mouse' Droid
Evacuate?
Local Trouble
Precise Attack

A New Hope: (12 remaining)
(Light)
R5-D4 (Arfive-Defour)
RA-7 (Aray-Seven)
Sensor Panel
Commence Recharging
Sabotage
(Dark)
R5-A2 (Arfive-Aytoo)
Death Star Tractor Beam
Laser Gate
Tractor Beam
Besieged
Informant
Retract The Bridge

Hoth: (11 remaining)
(Light)
R2 Sensor Array
Disarming Creature
Fall Back!
Medium Repeating Blaster Cannon
(Dark)
Captain Lennox
ComScan Detection
That's It, The Rebels Are There!
Turn It Off! Turn It Off!
Yaggle Gakkle
Hoth: Echo Corridor
E-web Blaster

Dagobah: (16 remaining)
(Light)
Astromech Translator
Rebel Flight Suit
Descent Into The Dark
Smuggler's Blues
Blasted Varmints
Lost Relay
Shoo! Shoo!
They'd Be Crazy To Follow Us
This Is No Cave
Through The Force Things You Will See
Tight Squeeze
(Dark)
Captain Needa
Flagship
Apology Accepted
Frustration
IG-88's Pulse Cannon

Cloud City: (14 remaining)
(Light)
Cyborg Construct
Access Denied
Frozen Assets
Captive Fury
Impressive, Most Impressive
Innocent Scoundrel
Old Pirates
Rescue In The Clouds
(Dark)
Binders
Restricted Access
Double-Crossing, No-Good Swindler
E Chu Ta
Heart Of The Chasm
TIE Sentry Ships

Jabba’s Palace: (10 remaining)
(Light)
Attark
Elom
Princess Leia Organa
R'kik D'nec, Hero Of The Dune Sea
Yarkora
(Dark)
Amanin
Beedo
CZ-4
Velken Tezeri
Information Exchange

Special Edition: (7 remaining)
(Light)
Droid Merchant
Joh Yowza
Scrambled Transmission
(Dark)
Iasa, The Traitor Of Jawa Canyon
IM4-099 (Eyeemmfour)
Hunting Party
In Range

Endor: (10 remaining)
(Light)
Captain Yutani
Corporal Janse
Lieutenant Greeve
Rabin
Ewok Rescue
Here We Go Again
(Dark)
Navy Trooper Vesden
Aratech Corporation
Counterattack
Go For Help!

Death Star II: (2 remaining)
(Light)
Keir Santage
Lieutenant Telsij

Tatooine: (2 remaining)
(Dark)
Pit Droid
Pit Crews

Coruscant: (1 remaining)
(Dark)
Tusken Raider

Reflections III: (8 remaining)
(Light)
Armament Dismantled
Clinging To The Edge
Darth Maul's Demise
Desperate Times
Fall Of A Jedi
(Dark)
Dark Rage
Force Push
The Ebb Of Battle

Theed Palace: (1 remaining)
(Dark)
3B3-21
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

AncientTome
Starter
Starter
GEMP Username: LostTome

Post by AncientTome »

Therion wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:22 pm
I have to say, speaking as a not-a-good-player kind of player, switching over to a rules-enforced platform has made me so much better at the game, freeing my brain up from watching for triggers and remembering interactions to actually think about what I'm doing (arguably also a worse player - I might just plain forget all of these things if/when I get back to playing physical cards).
To me, a lot of GEMP's contribution is giving me confidence in how I join the community. Pre-GEMP, I would check in on the new cards, browse the forums--and then not play. I knew Holotable existed, but I didn't want to risk making a mistake and having it misunderstood as doing something unfair/cheating/etc.

On GEMP I don't have to worry about it. Other than rare bugs (e.g., potentially being able to draw >1 destiny at Tatooine when the game text isn't correctly applied), GEMP's rule enforcement protects my opponent from my NARP-ness. I might be bad, but it's at least clear that I'm playing an honest game.

In a non-GEMP world, I'm still reading the card spoilers occasionally, looking at deck primers, and then playing something else.

AncientTome
Starter
Starter
GEMP Username: LostTome

Post by AncientTome »

To me, a lot of GEMP's contribution is giving me confidence in how I join the community. Pre-GEMP, I would check in on the new cards, browse the forums--and then not play. I knew Holotable existed, but I didn't want to risk making a mistake and having it misunderstood as doing something unfair/cheating/etc.

On GEMP I don't have to worry about it. Other than rare bugs (e.g., potentially being able to draw >1 destiny at Tatooine when the game text isn't correctly applied), GEMP's rule enforcement protects my opponent from my NARP-ness. I might be bad, but it's at least clear that I'm playing an honest game.

In a non-GEMP world, I'm still reading the card spoilers occasionally, looking at deck primers, and then playing something else.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

That's awesome! Glad you're here :)
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Return to “General Discussion”