Favorite Star Wars Books

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Favorite Star Wars Books

Post by shawnd1984 »

I am sure this topic has been delved into quite a bit. I have been fairly disinterested in the Disneyfication of SW, but started reading a few of the older books. What is everyone's favorite SW book or series?

I am currently re-reading the Darth Bane trilogy and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. Shadows of the Empire and the Han Solo trilogy are also on my list for re-reading.

3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

scottrick49

Re: Favorite Star Wars Books

Post by scottrick49 »

I just began rereading the Thrawn trilogy, haven't read that or really any star wars books in almost 20 years. So far it's holding up pretty good to how I remember.

Some of the others that were my favorites I'm scared to reread, because I think it's highly likely they won't live up to how I remember them. But this one is pretty good so far. The Thrawn chapters are definitely the highlight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scott

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Should be a previous thread on this.

Darth Bane is the best (as said by me and JJD and when we agree it must be true).
Han Solo trilogy (not adventures) is also really good.
X-Wing series: 1-4 Rogue Squad and super good. 5-7 are Wraith Squad and not as good as Rogue but was entertaining. Rest kind of jump between 2.

I'd have to go back and look at the series to give more thoughts than those.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Darth Bane is the best (as said by me and JJD and when we agree it must be true).
X-Wing series: 1-4 Rogue Squad and super good. 5-7 are Wraith Squad and not as good as Rogue but was entertaining. Rest kind of jump between 2.

I really wish there was more material on the Bane lineage, but alas, the mouse has probably put an end to that dream permanently. The Darth Plagueis book was actually pretty good as well.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Light of the Jedi is excellent

Perennial favorites:
A New Dawn
Kenobi
Darth Plageuis
Scoundrels
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 1:03 pm
rhendon wrote:

I really wish there was more material on the Bane lineage, but alas, the mouse has probably put an end to that dream permanently. The Darth Plagueis book was actually pretty good as well.
Bane was canonized by the mouse though. So they might bring him back and add more content to him.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 2:38 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 1:03 pm
rhendon wrote:

Bane was canonized by the mouse though. So they might bring him back and add more content to him.
Only when they need to spice up dwindling fan interest. AKA The Walking Dead Method

zeexhalcyon
Starter
Starter
GEMP Username: zeex

Post by zeexhalcyon »

I read A LOT of the EU between elementary school and college. I'm attempting to read the entire Legends timeline in chronological order and currently on the Attack of the Clones novelization.

My favorites in no particular order:
The Darth Bane Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Outbound Flight
Shadows of the Empire
The X-Wing Series
I, Jedi (Corran Horn is probably my all time favorite character, and my character names in most online games I play is a Halcyon)
Darksaber (this is not a particularly good book, but I owned the paperback as a kid so I reread it a TON)
Red Harvest (this one is VERY different from other Star Wars novels, but I just loved the horror feel it had)

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

zeexhalcyon wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 11:16 pm
I read A LOT of the EU between elementary school and college. I'm attempting to read the entire Legends timeline in chronological order and currently on the Attack of the Clones novelization.

The Darth Bane Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Outbound Flight
Shadows of the Empire
The X-Wing Series
I, Jedi (Corran Horn is probably my all time favorite character, and my character names in most online games I play is a Halcyon)
Darksaber (this is not a particularly good book, but I owned the paperback as a kid so I reread it a TON)
Red Harvest (this one is VERY different from other Star Wars novels, but I just loved the horror feel it had)
I just finished a Shadows of the Empire re-read - had read it in late 90's, before Reflections II even came out. Enjoyed it, and reminiscing about the N64 video game, too.
Darksaber was the very first SW book I read, so it was actually my Gemp alt for a bit >.<
I have a dozen or so SW books on my shelf I've never read, but I'm helping to get thru them all this year, although I'm tempted to re-read some like I, Jedi, the Bounty Hunter trilogy by Jeter, some others...
I read Darth Plagueis a few summers ago and enjoyed it. Same with the new canon Thrown and Catalyst.
londonsean wrote:Jared Napolitano is ruling Twitter. Maybe I’m just the opposite of Jared. He wins games and writes short messages. I lose games and write long messages.
Follow SWCCG on twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe SWCCG on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow SWCCG on twitch.tv/swccgpc
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Is it safe to say that everyone hated Chuck Wendig's Aftermath novels?

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 12:29 pm
I haven't read them, but I remember hearing they were terrible from this Podcast - https://www.starwarsreport.com/category/beyondthefilms/

Funny thing is I bought all 3 to give to my brother for his birthday couple years ago, but haven't done so because I got him something different last minute...so they've been sitting idle on my bookshelf for a while.
londonsean wrote:Jared Napolitano is ruling Twitter. Maybe I’m just the opposite of Jared. He wins games and writes short messages. I lose games and write long messages.
Follow SWCCG on twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe SWCCG on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow SWCCG on twitch.tv/swccgpc
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

zeexhalcyon wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 11:16 pm

The Darth Bane Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Outbound Flight
Shadows of the Empire
The X-Wing Series
I tried to read all the Legends books in order and got halfway through Dawn of the Jedi. I was in an EU facebook group for a while and "I'm going to read all of the novels" either in release or chronological order was the equivalent of people in the SWCCG group saying "how much is my collection worth?" or "I'm going to build thematic duel decks." The fact that you've made it to the AoTC novelization means you've already made it further than most!
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

shawnd1984 wrote:
No. While I have a problem with the third person, present tense writing style...I really enjoy the story . The first novel takes a bit to get through, but Life Debt and Empire's End are really, really good. I also think they've taken on a bit more importance in light of The Rise of Skywalker.

Regardless here are my favorite Star Wars books in both the Canon and Legends timeline

Legends:
The New Jedi Order: Star By Star
The Thrawn books: Outbound Flight, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future
Darth Plagueis
Cloak of Deception
The Republic Commando novels

Canon:
Bloodline
The Aftermath series
The Alphabet Squadron series
The Last Jedi, Expanded Edition
The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (this COULD be my favorite Star Wars book of all time)

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

hanotsri wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:12 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
No. While I have a problem with the third person, present tense writing style...I really enjoy the story . The first novel takes a bit to get through, but Life Debt and Empire's End are really, really good. I also think they've taken on a bit more importance in light of The Rise of Skywalker.

Regardless here are my favorite Star Wars books in both the Canon and Legends timeline

Legends:
The New Jedi Order: Star By Star
The Thrawn books: Outbound Flight, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future
Darth Plagueis
Cloak of Deception
The Republic Commando novels

Canon:
Bloodline
The Aftermath series
The Alphabet Squadron series
The Last Jedi, Expanded Edition
The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (this COULD be my favorite Star Wars book of all time)
Seeing Cloak of Deception on your list is crazy. I'm glad you enjoy this stuff, but I don't think I ever finished that book after trying for about 2 years. I don't even remember anything about it other than it being incredibly dry.

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

I've really enjoyed all the "Tales" short story collections. Just reread them after about 15 years and it's cool too see how much SWCCG lore was based on them.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Corran wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Seeing Cloak of Deception on your list is crazy. I'm glad you enjoy this stuff, but I don't think I ever finished that book after trying for about 2 years. I don't even remember anything about it other than it being incredibly dry.
Honestly, one of the main reasons why I love the prequels so much is all of the political stuff so Cloak of Deception lends nicely. Also one of the reasons why I love Bloodline.

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:12 pm
I've really enjoyed all the "Tales" short story collections. Just reread them after about 15 years and it's cool too see how much SWCCG lore was based on them.
One thing I forgot to note, the Dannik Jerriko stories though are atrocious. The way I get through them is to pretend he is scooby doo and I replace "soup" with scooby snacks.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:42 pm
AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 4:12 pm
One thing I forgot to note, the Dannik Jerriko stories though are atrocious. The way I get through them is to pretend he is scooby doo and I replace "soup" with scooby snacks.
I like the Dannik Jerriko story. It's one that sticks with me.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

I loved all the tales unequivocally.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Update on Light of the Jedi. The book is really good. I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and it's all the things people say they liked about the Old Republic Era, but feels more Star Warsy without feeling repetitive. Not to mention, it's actually well written. It's hard to compare to books that I read years ago, but it's up there with A New Dawn as a potential favorite Canon novel, and I would not argue with anyone who said it was their favorite Star Wars novel period.

Return to “Off Topic”