'21 Retro Event - Floor Rules

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

'21 Retro Event - Floor Rules

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Best of luck to all participants. If there are any questions on the below, please don't hesitate to ask in this thread - ahead or during the event.

Subject to additional rules/updates/clarifications until March 21st

1. Practice good sportsmanship. We're all here to have fun. We're all a part of the same community, here to enjoy playing this game we all love.

2. I (Jared Napolitano) will be the main TD for this event, and my decisions are final. I am very responsive to Forum PM's or Slack DM's. The back-up TD for any decisions where my independence may be impaired in substance or form: Bill "TacoBill" Kafer.

3. Decklists will not be required at any point of the event. The only item related to this: If a new card is coded during the match-play stage, it will not be allowed to be played. If an opponent identifies the disallowed card, alert the TD immediately and disqualification will likely result. *This will be reminded to participants on several occasion*.

4. Players should use caution when loading a deck. If the wrong deck is loaded, and it is caught within the first turn cycle, the players may request a restart from the TD (and therefore a cancellation of the game). If it's not caught until later in the game, the player who submitted the wrong deck will forfeit the game.

5. Like the Online Championship Series, any prove-able and/or overt attempt to schedule or coordinate games with your opponent to circumvent the intended "blind" nature of posting tables will be subject to disqualification. Accordingly, any overt attempts of playing games NOT in good faith will be subject to review and if egregious, disqualification.

6. Only two players playing in a game. This is not a world-championship competition level, but there are substantial prizes involved - play straight up. Do not screen share, or receive any outside assistance. Play your own game.

7: Reverts: These are only allowed at the discretion of your opponent. Please make sure to take your time and click responsibly when taking actions. You may also wish to turn off the Auto-pass feature in the Settings tab for the duration of this tournament.

8. Bugs: If a new bug is found, unless it is game breaking, play it as it lies. If it would destroy the outcome of the game, please reach out to TD. The game may need to be replayed depending on the circumstances. Using a known bug or exploit to your advantage is considered cheating, and can be grounds for disqualification from the tournament.

9. GEMP crashes: Game will try to be recovered to be resumed. If game can not be resumed, then play will start over.

10. Spectators: Spectators will be allowed to watch games on GEMP, and in an effort to increase exposure of the game, may be streamed by some of the commentators in the community. The ability to change decks between games and rounds of match-play, along with tables being posted blind, should mitigate "scouting" working against certain players.

11. Differential does not matter for game results - this is an SOS event (simply, the cumulative record of your opponents will determine tiebreakers for cuts to match-play and match-play seeding). If there is an exact tie on record and SOS and it determines a cut to match-play (i.e., for two 8-2 finishers, because 9-1 finishers are already guaranteed a play-in), a 1-game playoff will be necessitated - side choice determined by coin-flip.

Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: '21 Retro Event - Floor Rules

Post by arebelspy »

Worlds 2000 was cut to top 12, 4 game swiss, final confrontation.
Player's Championship (Worlds 2000 event in 2009) was cut to top 12, 4 game swiss, final confrontation.

This is cut to top 8, match play?

Any reason for the change (other than it defaulted to cut and match play due to that's our "standard" tourney format)?

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

arebelspy wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 12:54 am
Worlds 2000 was cut to top 12, 4 game swiss, final confrontation.
Player's Championship (Worlds 2000 event in 2009) was cut to top 12, 4 game swiss, final confrontation.

This is cut to top 8, match play?

Any reason for the change (other than it defaulted to cut and match play due to that's our "standard" tourney format)?
Do you honestly have to question every single * decision anyone makes? Or is it just a complex you have?

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

arebelspy wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 12:54 am
That's one of the reasons, sure. For an event like this, goes without saying that it's impossible to please everyone. Some players prefer a one-day, 4-game, 6-7 hour Swiss, just-get-it-done event for "Stage 2". Others may prefer match-play rounds where they can schedule the games to best fit their personal/professional life demands. Me as the tournament organizer, I could probably go either way, but given the status quo, I'd need a really compelling reason to switch it now (perhaps a convincing poll amongst registrants + potential registrants on what they prefer?).

Does match-play have some drawbacks? Yeah. One of the reasons I defaulted to this was because it would allow for more concentrated commentary coverage of the top performers - 7 matches with presumably very good players. As opposed to 4 rounds, 6 games per, then a final confrontation. If that is Swiss-style spread about like 4 weeks (so like a hybrid approach from above), that's not something I want to do as the organizer here. And I think either Swiss-style approach is less appealing for spectators.

Maybe there's a little more randomness this way? OK - that's not the worst thing in the world, especially not when it's a free event with good prizes that is hopefully attractive to a diverse group of players. And also consistent with what I said somewhere else - I think the format lends itself to a bit more randomness anyway (than today's open) due to the meta then.

All that said, I think this is good feedback to keep mind for a future event - one I may run or someone else may run. Maybe next time we do something like a $25 buy-in, Premiere-Reflections II, 6-game, one-day Swiss event with Top 4 match-play cut? Maybe then the prizes are more cash-based and there's (probably) a straighter line from true talent + preparation to final results? In the post-GEMP SWCCG world, events like these are not difficult to run, just involve effort. The biggest benefits are people can craft and test decks a lot more efficiently and participants can be pulled in globally. Hopefully this is one of many fun, interesting, competitive alt-format events.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Makes sense. I think 4 game swiss with diff adds more randomness than match play personally.
Steviegets112 wrote: Do you honestly have to question every single * decision anyone makes? Or is it just a complex you have?
I'm curious.

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just wondering why the switch and what the reasoning is.

Feel free to think of it as a complex, if it helps you.

That's what I do with you getting upset at every question I ask. Image

Return to “2021 Retro Event (PDS2)”